CBR1100XX.org Forum

Installing CCT #2...

SR71BLACKBIRDXX

Yeah tin can kinda rattle, I've got it just living with it, apparently there's never been a CCT failure, people just get annoyed with the sound. Oh thats Cam Chain Tensioner BTW. Factory replacements seem to just start rattling again eventually, the X-11 CCT fixes it, they're just very hard to get your hands on. Someone posted a link for a manual tensioner a while back also. I was reading an old Cycle World last night and in the Maintinence section, someone wrote in about this problem on their F4. Apparently it common on many different Honda models.

Making noise is not common on hondas, but having the cam-chains wear out is. There's a very big difference. VTRs and VFRs all need to change the camchains and tensioners at about 40K miles because the old chain has stretched too much and the tensioners are at the end of their adjustments.

Making noise is not common on hondas, but having the cam-chains wear out is. There's a very big difference. VTRs and VFRs all need to change the camchains and tensioners at about 40K miles because the old chain has stretched too much and the tensioners are at the end of their adjustments.

Unless you're talking about 2002-present VFRs, all others had no chains. They are gear-driven cams with no maint. required.

I seriously doubt that cam chains stretch that much in 40k. The CCT has about 1 inch of travel. When I pull mine out, I will measure how much more throw it has. My bike has 12k on it now, and had 2k on it the first time it started making noise. Theres no way the CCT is even near the end of its travel.

Revlimitbounce is correct. The VFR had gear driven cams from its debut in 1986 to the 4th generation...(1998-2001). Only the 5th gen. have chain driven cams.

Did the CCT this past w/e. Bird started rattling around 12000km. Took me a big 15 minutes to change.

BTW.. the kit comes with the CCT, gasket, new washers and screws. I was looking for the "tool" everyone is talking about... It's just a small metalic piece inserted into the CCT that you simply pull on. That releases the tensoner onto the cam chain.

Luc

I seriously doubt that cam chains stretch that much in 40k. The CCT has about 1 inch of travel. When I pull mine out, I will measure how much more throw it has. My bike has 12k on it now, and had 2k on it the first time it started making noise. Theres no way the CCT is even near the end of its travel.

Revlimitbounce is correct. The VFR had gear driven cams from its debut in 1986 to the 4th generation...(1998-2001). Only the 5th gen. have chain driven cams.

My CCT on the rear cylinder went out on my VTR at 25,000 miles, slipped the chain and bent all 4 valves. Replaced both chains front and back and both CCT's when I put it back together and the chains were not really stretched, just the CCT let go and the chain slipped. The chain can slip with no tensioner just by itself. It is not taunt enough without the tensioner.

I replaced my CCT in the XX with one of the first X-11's to get here to the states and it has been solid for 20,000 miles plus. The XX and the VTR are completely different on the Cam chains. The V-Twins are intrinsically harder on the chains then the smooth delivering I-4's.

MaXX

Replaced it and guess what....no more noise. The one I took out appeared fine. Still had a good .500 more throw on it. I dont get it. My new one did have 2 green dots on it instead of 1. I read something about this somewhere but I cant remember what it was.