CBR1100XX.org Forum

Advice on lowering...

Skull

I have now conclusively demonstrated to myself that I must lower the bike (don't ask how).

I have obtained a ProTek lowering link, which should lower the rear by an inch. I plan to slip the fork tubes in the tripletree roughly an inch as well, hopefully preserving the stock geometry.

Anyone else done this? Know any pitfalls? Should I slip the front 6mm more to mimick the modification with the washers?

Guest rockmeupto125
Should I slip the front 6mm more

NO!

Unless you're seriously a drag racer, and nothing else. You are already cutting into your cornering clearance in a big way. Dragging hard parts is not really desirable....believe me.

I'd put some more preload on the front springs if you were to lower it in the tripples an inch. The lowers will still try to move the full distance they were designed for, but the tubes won't have as much travel slid up. The lower tripple will be closer to your fork lowers.

Before you actually lower her, have you considered cutting your seat down an inch?

I've had mine really low with straps on the front and an adjustable link on the back. The problem with lowering the tripples too far on the front is that the lowers will travel farther than the lowered tubes allow. You can hit the lower tripple clamp with the fork lowers and cause damage to the seals and the tubes themselves if hit hard enough. Be cautious when lowering like this if you have the stock front springs and preload. The first couple inches comes down pretty quick. Your ground clearance will also suffer a little if you really like to lean her over. I would put stiffer springs in the front or increase your preload quite a bit if you go ANY over 1". I think the stock travel is like 5.3". Measure the clearance between the fork lowers and the lower tripple clamp and try to keep this 5.3" clearance if at all possible to avoid any damage. If you use a strap, the ride will obvously suffer as the springs are being preloaded a whole lot more than stock and the rebound is solid at normal lowered height.

Just about any good seat shop can lower the stock seat for you and you'll keep the stock ground clearance and ride. If you like to use the centerstand, the lowered bike will make it a little bit harder to raise it up on it. Wheelies will be a bit harder and might hurt something on the forks if brought down hard.

Either way you go, good luck.

No more than 1" on the front: Check. I hadn't thought about the front bottoming out and busting the fork seals. Thanks for the tip on that.

This will include having somebody cut down the seat an inch. Dang I hate being short.

The lowering link isn't adjustable -- I have no worries about its structural integrity.

Stiffer fork springs is a good idea, too.

Thanks all.

Dang I hate being short.

--How short are you? I probably would have been a bit more comfortable on the bike if it was an inch lower, and it would have made pushing it around while on the bike much easier. I am about 5' 7.5"

But I won't be back on a bird until maybe February/March. I hope not longer than that because its only been 6 days and im already going through withdrawls! :cry:

One more thing about the lowering link, the one I got just had brass bushings in it. The stock one has needle bearings. I didn't think that is was working smoothly so I had the lowering link machined out and the needle bearings pressed in. Smooth now.

The link I got has a threaded rod with a 15/16" lock nut on each side of a sliding mount for the rear of the link. It costs a bit more than the ones with a couple holes. Mine ran me $129 through Schnitz racing. A person can slam it to the ground with this one or raise it too the moon. I have had mine low enough in the rear that the upper portion of the wheel is up in the rear bodywork. You have to press out the bearings on the stock link and press them into this one. I am quite satisfied with the link, but am going to remove it for my own good. The link is strong but I like to tinker with the ride height too much. A friend who just drag races his bird is buying it off me. I couldn't run my centerstand with my link as it was too long and actually came in contact with the centerstand's cross brace at about halfway up. Keepin the straps just in case the urge hits me.

Dang I hate being short.

--How short are you? I probably would have been a bit more comfortable on the bike if it was an inch lower, and it would have made pushing it around while on the bike much easier. I am about 5' 7.5"

I'm right there at 5' 8" with a 30" inseam.

You guys and your " 30 inch inseam crap" ...... your killing me...

when I was 8 I was riding a 125 with the seat hight at about my chest,

I would push the bike next to a wall or fence and start it,

whenever I need to get off, I'ld just jump to one side and keep the bike running,

then run along side it and jump up on one footpeg and back on.

My point is.... IT ONLY TAKES 1 FOOT TO HOLD YOUR BIKE UP!

The biggest problem for me, at the moment, is that I'm still recovering from my accident where I totaled my Goldwing, and while I have a lot of strength in the bad leg (as well as the good leg), I don't have that strength at full extension. As a result, if I get off balance (which I did), I don't have a lot of leverage to catch myself before I hit the point of no return.

Frankly, it's not my dignity that I'm worried about, it's just a pain in the ass to pick the bike back up. :wink: