CBR1100XX.org Forum

Just plain freaky?

Obby

I've been gearing up for my first oil change on the bird now for a couple of weeks (last oil change 2,500mi ago). Today I checked the oil level dipstick and saw no color change in the oil AT ALL! Not a drop missing either! I thought, "what the fuck, must be seeing things". Checked it again. Golden clean! Like it just poured out of the bottle (no shit).

Is this normal for the bird :roll: ? My Turbo Kawasaki's oil turns black the minute I put it in.

I guess I should still change it though (viscosity break down and stuff).

Yep, roger that. I'm of the mindset that bikes should be ridden, kept dirty, and enjoyed rather than worshipped, polished, and parked. Finally got around to changing my erl after 3500 miles, and just like you, it came out almost as clear as the stuff I put in. I used Mobil 1, dunno if that makes a diff (yes, it was 15W50...)

Gotta love the XX.

About the level or no oil usage :wink: here's a story, sorry if some of you heard this already

My buddy has a 98 VFR that he went to Alaska with last year :shock: He is from Buffalo, NY. do to lack of space he ran on the same oil :shock: . After 5-weeks when he got back, the total mileage was 10,500 :shock: :shock: . Checked the dipstick NOT ONE OUNCE OF OIL WAS GONE :grin: :grin: He also ran Mobil One HPX

Harry

Just finished my first oil change on da bird "00" since ive owned it put in mobil 1 15-50w, the mobil 1 oil actually looked darker than the oil i took out, bought bike from dealer 3 mos ago i assume they changed the oil as part of prep to sell but i dont know what type of oil they used. i also check the oil routinely and had no oil loss either.

Does anyone know of a better oil filter than the oem one for da bird and if so how much$ and where do we find it?

THX.

The way to tell if your oil needs changing is to pull the stick out, and put some on your fingers. Run it between your thumb and first finger. If it feels soapy, then time to change. If it is not soapy, just greasy, it is fine.

As for non-oem filters, somehere here a while ago said a RX-7 filter works just fine. Can't remember who it was though.

I don't recall the numbers for the RX7 filter. Carlos? The one for K&N is KN-303. I couldn't find it at any of the local auto dealers. Perhaps, they can special order one? I finally found the K&Ns at a local bike shop. I believe I paid $11.99.

XXFirefighter, what microns does the Scott filter too? If it's as least as good as stock and not too terribly expensive that could be the way to go.

bar10dah, I ordered mine filter direct from Amsoil for about $9 I believe; along with a case of motorcycle synthetic oil at $6.50/quart. I don't know what the comparison is between K&N and Amsoil, filter wise, but I imagine they would similar to one another.

I hear the Amsoil filters and oils are pretty good. Can't remember the source though.

But! For $6.50 a quart, I'd be getting my oil someplace else! :shock: I buy the Mobil1 15w50 for $3.85 at Target. Lots of others get the Rotella too. Amsoil is good, but not worth costing nearly twice as much.

http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/oil.html

Here's a link I scammed from the old site, thought it specifically mentioned replacement p/n's for the XX one, but haven't read thru it lately. For peace of mind's sake, I go ahead & get reamed 12 bucks for the Honda filter. (now the **105** the dealership wanted to change my front tire is another story :twisted: )

Anywho, here 'tis:http://twocreeks.net/toby/oil_filters.shtml

L8r

chad