CBR1100XX.org Forum

killed the battery

bar10dah

So, it's been beautiful riding weather around here lately and I've been riding my bike a lot. Today, I went to an appointment at about 2pm. At a quarter to 4pm, I click the starter on my bike and it spins a couple of times and stops. WTF?! Hit it again twice more. Damn, battery croaked! Pulled back out of the space, straightened her up, powerwalked the bike and popped the clutch. Bike fires right up! Damn, it doesn't take much speed at all to get her running!

Rider her home, all the while the gauges are jumping. Speedo jumping from actual speed to 0 and back. And tach going from RPM's to 0 and back. Kept the RPM's up the whole way home. Pulled into the garage and let her idle. Idled fine. Hit the kill switch and then tried to restart her. No deal.

Time for a new battery! This looks like a good deal. http://motorcyclebatteriesusa.com/battery-...asp?battery=754

Since I'll have her apart for a few days, thought I'd pull the tank and finally replace the sending unit. My fuel gauge works, but the low fuel light doesn't. Followed the troubleshooting guide in the service manual and it says the sending unit is faulty.

When I had the tank apart, I pulled the petcock off. There's a mesh screen in there! I couldn't get it out, though. Didn't want to pull on it too hard, but it's fitted up into the tank. Guess I'll just leave it there and reinstall the petcock. So, I guess this bike has a nonreplaceable fuel filter? At least, one that keeps debris in the tank from going into the carbs. Good to know.

Guess I'll just do all it's other maintenance while I'm at it. Partsmonster guy! If you're reading this, I already emailed Leslie Lehman for some parts quotes. Will you add 4 iridium plugs to that order, please? I believe the part numbers for them are CR9EHVX-9.

Also need to do a coolant change and clutch/brake fluid change.

Gonna be a fun couple of weekends! Glad I finally have a garage to work in.

First check the chargeing system. Battery may be all right. RR may be bad.

My red light died too. I don't miss it. Nothing like doing over 100 at night and all of the sudden a red light turns on. :shock:

The fuel filter is like a cigar in shape and it does come out for cleaning. just pull it out.

I pull my bikes into the basement for maintenance.

Guest rockmeupto125

No. Start with the basics. Get a fully charged battery in the system first.

If your batter will hold a good charge and pass a load test, more than likely you have a bad regulator. If your battery won't hold a good charge and pass a load test, you have a bad battery first. So you would then replace the battery with a fully charged one, and run diagnostics on the charging system.

Work UP, not down. Keeps you from spending time and money you don't have to. What I'm saying is, don't assume its the charging circuit until you have verified that the battery and system grounds are in good shape.

Yo.

I just did the diagnostics, per the manual, last nite:

Required for diagnosis:

5mm hex key (to remove tailsection)

6mm hex key (to remove tailsection)

Voltmeter

Bike and key.

1. Check battery voltage at battery when sitting, key off.

Result: 13.0-13.2. Replace battery if below 12.3

2. Check battery voltage with engine warm, highbeam on, and engine running at 5k RPM.

Result: 14.7-15.5 at the battery.

3. Verify harness condition. Key off. Remove tailsection and unplug R/R. On harness (bike) side:

3a. Check ground continuity. Green wire, continuity to ground. Should be zero ohm.

3b. Check battery voltage across Red and Green. Should be same as voltage across battery.

3c: Charging coil, yellow wires. Check across 1, 2, then 1, 3, then 2, 3. Resistance should be .22-.28 ohm.

Book says if all is within spec, you need a new R/R.

J.

You might check your local auto parts store. We have a store called O'Reily's in our area that sells NGK. The CR9EHIX-9 (stock #6216) are $6.99 and the IMR 9A-9H (stock #6966) are $10.99. I think both are cheaper than at sparkplugs.com.

If it is the reg/rec this may help ... I started this thread a while back and have had no problems to date... you inital problem was the same as my situation.. I drove to class fine, 50 min later i had a dead batt...guages were all dropped to zero on the ride home... don't ride the thing i could fry your wiring system...

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forum/viewtopic.p...4712&highlight=

1. Check battery voltage at battery when sitting, key off.

Result: 13.0-13.2. Replace battery if below 12.3

12.5 V. Low, but above the cut-off.

2. Check battery voltage with engine warm, highbeam on, and engine running at 5k RPM.

Result: 14.7-15.5 at the battery.

11.56 V. Damn.

3. Verify harness condition. Key off. Remove tailsection and unplug R/R. On harness (bike) side:

3a. Check ground continuity. Green wire, continuity to ground. Should be zero ohm.

Continuity good. But got 0.2 ohm.

3b. Check battery voltage across Red and Green. Should be same as voltage across battery.

12.5 V. Good.

3c: Charging coil, yellow wires. Check across 1, 2, then 1, 3, then 2, 3. Resistance should be .22-.28 ohm.

0.5 ohms. Bad.

Fuck...

If it is the reg/rec this may help ... I started this thread a while back and have had no problems to date... you inital problem was the same as my situation.. I drove to class fine, 50 min later i had a dead batt...guages were all dropped to zero on the ride home... don't ride the thing i could fry your wiring system...

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forum/viewtopic.p...4712&highlight=

Thanks. Good info.

Wait a minute... Huh?!

If ANY of it is OUT of spec, then I need a new R/R, right?

No.

What that test does is check the stator, not the R/R. If the stator is good, then the R/R must be bad.

Well, doing the math, subtract the .2 you got for resistance on your ground side from your readings, and you're in range (barely).

Were all readings .5? Across all 3 coils? I would doubt that all would be barely out of range enough to quit charging. What you would most likely find is an open circuit in one leg (or two), which would still charge, but barely.

Based on your readings, I would replace my R/R.

Yeah, all three. But just to be sure, I'm checking from one pin to the next? Say, three yellow wires: 1, 2, and 3. Checking from 1 to 2. 1 to 3. And 2 to 3? Or am I checking from 1, 2, and 3 individually all to ground?

Manual only says

Item: charging coil line

Terminal: yellow to yellow

Spec: 0.22-0.26 ohm

Yes, the way you are checking.

It could be a meter problem, as well. What happens when you cross the leads on the meter? Do you get 0?

I still say you're close enough on your readings, anyway.

• 1 month later...