CBR1100XX.org Forum

Why bother with bar-mods? Simple adjustment really works!

yamabuell

I've had my new '03 for 5 days now--just about broken in. I had been planning to buy a Bird for some time, and I knew that I had to modify the stock bars to give me a more upright riding position. I read all I could about bar mods on this board and decided to order VFR bars. But yesterday, in the middle of a ride, just for the hell of it, I removed the wire retaining clips and raised the bars to the very top of the fork tubes. I also pulled them back as far as they would go without hitting the tank on full stop.

Damn! What a difference! Feels close to what my ZZR12 was like with GenMars. No problems with hoses or cables are apparent. Seems to handle pretty much the same. When I got home, I did put plenty of lock-tight on the clamp bolts. Got to admit, I am a bit concerned about the clamps coming loose--probably unjustified worry.

From what I can tell, plenty of you have done the same with your bars. Have any of you encountered any unforeseen problems resulting from this adjustment?

Jon

Well, only that you've lost the lock tab that goes into your top triple tree. So if your bolt comes loose, you'll loose control with that side of the handlebar. I've run this for a couple years now with no problem, except it went loose ONCE, that had a pucker factor of about 8.6 .

I've been running a '99 XX like this since I bought it in 2001. One word of caution, make sure that the clamp bolt is never any higher than the top of the fork tube. And don't consider the cap of the fork tube as part of the fork tube. If you abide by that criteria, and double check your clamp bolts once in a while, use some locktite on the clamp bolts, you will be fine with that setup.

• 2 weeks later...
But yesterday, in the middle of a ride, just for the hell of it, I removed the wire retaining clips and raised the bars to the very top of the fork tubes. I also pulled them back as far as they would go without hitting the tank on full stop.

Damn! What a difference! Feels close to what my ZZR12 was like with GenMars. No problems with hoses or cables are apparent.

Jon

Now that's pretty trick! I came on here today looking for what folks were running for tires, oops, tyres. :twisted: and ran across this thread. It's amazing what a 1/4 inch will do. I pulled mine back too as far as they would go without shoving my hands in the tank,,,, felt good just sitting there in the shop. Going out to do some errands now, gonna see how it feels "on da road". If it feels okay, then I'll Lock-Tite 'er down.

1/4" hell, you can safely raise em up 3/4"

Not on my '03 you can't. The top of the bars are at even with the top of the stanchion tube, not the tube cap. There was/is about 1/8" between the the top of the tube and where the wire circlip was. I'm at the very tip-top of the tube itself and it raised the bars 1/4". I sure would liked to have had 3/4" but it just ain't there bro. Differences in year models maybe? I've just had mine since May this year and am still learning the year model diffs.

Got back from my errands and it is noticeable difference. Only about 30 miles traveled so I reckon the jury is still out until I can git a 500 mile day. What I "did" ride I liked.

Yours is the same as mine. The clipons will stick up over the top of the fork tubes a little bit. You'll be OK as long as the centerline of the clip-on bolt isn't over the top of the fork tube caps. Ran mine like this for a long time. Actually the Gen-Mar risers for our bikes is only a spacer that's 3/4" thick that goes under the clip-ons and a little cap for the top of the clip-ons when they stick out over the fork tubes. Trust me and a lot of other people on here who run theirs like this, 3/4" is very possible and safe on your bike. If you don't want to go 3/4", try a 1/2".

I'm at the very tip-top of the tube itself and it raised the bars 1/4".

Have you measured the length of the fork that is out of the top triple clamp? According to Honda Service Manual, it should be 38.3 mm .

Mine is a '03 as well and that was the stock setting.

Also you might try raising the forks 1-2 mm, to compensate for the slower turn in (after raising your bars->moving your weight up & back).

I've done this to mine (set to 39.3 out) without raising the bars and it feels sharper without being twitchy.

Sorry about SI Units 1 inch=25.4 mm

Couple of good points here. I understand raising the bars up "to" the centerline of the pinch bolt. Yep, that'd get me at least another 3/8 to 1/2".

What I don't understand is raising the forks up a couple of mm's. Yeah, I know that's gonna decrease the rake and trail but "put me up and back"? Decreasing rake and trail is gonna put me (body) down and forward. I've had 2 900 RR's,,, I understand twitchy, LOLOLOL. I like it though. Back to the question though,,,, no matter where I put the forks in the triple clamps, I basically still have the same reach to the handle bars. I know we're talkin' "ergos vs handling" here. Not too worried about the handling right now albeit the XX is a bit slow to turn in,,, well, as compared to my RR's and ZRX.

I reckon I'm gettin' to be an ole phart these days but I wanna get the ergos set for "me" first. I've had all of 'em,,, I always go back to Honda. After the ergos come the suspension. I've already got that mapped out,, no-brainer to me.

Sorta new to this board, but I'm gonna try to attach a couple of pics I took this afternoon of where the clip-ons are after I moved them.

Thanks for your info folks. :worship: Not really,,,,,, :fingers:

:grin:

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/bwhite54/images/XXbars1.jpg

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/bwhite54/images/XXbars2.jpg

Goobr, you're right. The height of the bars is what matters in the ergos. The amount that the forks are slid up in the tripples affects rake and trail. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't feel the 5mm that I have raised my forks in the tripples in the bars.

I don't really get the raising the forks to compensate for the raised clipons comment. I don't know about you, but when I'm gettin it on in the twisties, I'm not sittin up in the seat and straight armin the bars. My whole body is in a different posture than slab riding.

No mater what anyone says, set her up like YOU like it. If you like a 1/4" that's cool. A lot of people leave em stock.

Guest rockmeupto125
"Back to the question though,,,, no matter where I put the forks in the triple clamps, I basically still have the same reach to the handle bars

Basically, yes. 1/4 inch isn't a lot, although you can feel it.

YOU sit on the seat, and grip the tank with your legs. Dropping the clamps on the tubes makes the bars higher in relation to the motorcycle frame....and you. Those whose back hurts after a certain amount of time on the bike can usually notice a difference....either in level of comfort or endurance.

Basically,  yes.  1/4 inch isn't a lot, although you can feel it.  

YOU sit on the seat, and grip the tank with your legs.  Dropping the clamps on the tubes makes the bars higher in relation to the motorcycle frame....and you.  Those whose back hurts after a certain amount of time on the bike can usually notice a difference....either in level of comfort or endurance.

Don't mean to hijack but Joe, glad to see you back....

especially after seeing your front!

I have my bars raised 3/4 of an inch and pulled closer to the tank also. My question is how much more comfort will the helibars or VFR bars give you past this? Anybody try both or all three?

I have my bars raised 3/4 of an inch and pulled closer to the tank also. My question is how much more comfort will the helibars or VFR bars give you past this? Anybody try both or all three?

I talked to HondaJohn yesterday and he said he had tried raising the bars but wasn't quite enough for him. He went to the VFR bars and seems to like them.

I'm gonna try a few of the suggestions here before a ride next weekend. Thanks for all the tips!

I've never had stock bars but had Heli's and now VFR bars.

The VFR bars are slightly higher, look way better, (like stock because they're Honda) and are cheaper. Just post on some VFR sites to get their used bars. 2002 (VTEC) and newer. Got mine for $85 with shipping.

BTW my VFR bars are up off the top tripple clamp 1". My fork tubes are raised just enough to allow the bar clamp bolts to be at the top of the tubes.

Guest rockmeupto125

This is hard to see, but you can get the idea......I've been running like this for thousands of miles...have yet to tighten the bars since they were set there.

clipon.jpg