CBR1100XX.org Forum

180 vs 190 tire profile pics

BDAZ XX

funny, just the other day i was thinking about my 'next' pair of tires and whether or not i should go to a 190.

what i'm concerned with is the 55 to a 50. doesn't this lower the rear end?

can you post pics of the sides of the tires to compare?

could i compensate with shimming up the rear end as some of you all have?

i've heard comments of the bike handlling like 'ass' with a 190, but i'm betting it's because of the lower profile?

will a 200 fit?

good to see this thread light up again as we lost it with the burning down of old database :grin:

The profile compensates for the rise you get from the larger size. Remember that profile is a percentage of width--so increasing width requires decreasing profile to maintain the same height and radius (larger radius changes gear ratio).

A 190 is for looks. There is no chance of improving traction for mere mortals on a XX, and many racers have been going back to 180's for handling. Also, you need to have a proper wheel width (Randy does) or you will REALLY fuck up the handling and reduce traction by bending the tire into an improper profile.

The profile compensates for the rise you get from the larger size. Remember that profile is a percentage of width--so increasing width requires decreasing profile to maintain the same height and radius (larger radius changes gear ratio).

A 190 is for looks. There is no chance of improving traction for mere mortals on a XX, and many racers have been going back to 180's for handling. Also, you need to have a proper wheel width (Randy does) or you will REALLY fuck up the handling and reduce traction by bending the tire into an improper profile.

absolutely right, in the number 180/55-17, the 55 means that the profile height is 55% of the width. 180*0.55=99, 190*0.50=95....so the 190 would be a little bit shorter overall than the 180, thus it WOULD lower the rear end a little bit (~1/8-3/16").

so...you need a different rim to run a 190? if so, which rim is that?

You can mount a 190 on the stock rim but it will turn slower, thats the only downside to it. The correct rim for the 190 would be a 6"+ rim. I run a 6.25" rear wheel on my XX. The 190 fits by only a cunt hair (the center stand clearance issue). I am mounting the 180 because I am expecting alot of twisties ahead in the next few weeks and want the steering to be as effortless as possible running all those curvy miles. :grin:

thats the only downside to it.

Most of the experts say that it also causes the tire's profile to be different than what the manufacturer intended, especially on the sides. Result is a smaller/less stable contact patch right at the point where you need the most traction.

The tire companies are coming out with a new 190/55 vs the current 190/50 that has the same profile as a 180 but a bigger contact patch, thus better traction while lean'd over. There already on the market with "I think" Pirelli? :???:

This sounds like some tough jail lovin going on between Randy and Dave. Randy be easy on my bitch. Plus every time you fuck him in the ass, you owe me two packs of smokes. So you owe me a couple of cartons by now. But i'm glad you have a small dick

(from what Dave tells me) so you don't stretch him out much. I wouldn't be able to get top dollar for him if he was all sloppy.

Thanks for the pic, man - NOT! It looks like I'm going to have to stop viewing this forum from work - don't want to lose my job...

Thanks for the pic, man - NOT! It looks like I'm going to have to stop viewing this forum from work - don't want to lose my job...

Sorry about that! Dont want anyone getting in trouble. I changed it!!! :wink: