CBR1100XX.org Forum

Engine runs HOT

vintechsys

Mine runs normally between 81 - 85 Celcius on hwy's and between 100 - 105 Celcius in traffic jam/city etc...

If yours is running hotter than the average, you should check the antifreeze, it could be to rich/strong!!!

if your bike is an american model (damn metric canadians :grin:), the temp gauge doesnt even register until it hits 95 degrees FARENHEIT.

if i'm sitting in traffic on my '03 (easy enough to do in dc), it'll sometimes read upwards of 223 FARENHEIT.

once i get moving after such prolonged stops, it'll slowly drift down towards 210 or so. rarely does it dip much below that, even moving right along in cooler weather.

some folks use different chemicals to cool the system down further, and have good results with that. i use the mixture that came with the bike when new (i'm at around 4200 miles right now).

hope that helps :grin:.

brc

My bike runs at around 215 degrees. I just bought it a few days ago. Is that normal? Please help.

Completely normal...

Nothing to worry about...

Its a Honda... All you need to do is ride it!

:wink:

250 is a tad high, but not outrageous. Plus sitting still is the only time the bike ever gets warm.

Double check your fluid level, but if that's fine, you've got nothing to worry about.

Vinnie,

Nothing to add to what was said above, except Welcome....welcome to the nut house. :bigshock: I think you'll find an outstanding group here. Many of us should be locked away (either in prison or in rooms with padded cells), so that is why we ride fast bikes.

Please check in often. It will probably be a little quiet around here this weekend as we have a pretty big gathering going on (and i am very pissed I can't make it), but i think you'll see we have it all here.

GriffXX

I finally got t ride yesterday for a few hours.(It had been raining since i got it, but that hadn't stopped me either). It gets around 238 degrees in traffic but goes as low as 185. This bike is awsome , it has tons of power and i am a really happy owner. Thanks everyone for helping the rookie out.

-Vinnie

Here in Holland we had a couple of XX's running hot. So hot, they were boiling over (like mine was).

Couple of possibilities:

1. Malfunctioning thermo-valve (thermostat). This valve does regulate the flow through the cooler. Sometimes it will not open totally, and needs to be replaced.

2. Old cap on the radiator. Radiator can not build up enough pressure, thereby reducing the boilingpoint.

3. Blown head-gasket. Exhaust-fumes (very hot!) will flow into the coolant.

4. Malfunctioning thermal-fan-sensor. This will switch on the fan too late (that's what happened to my bike), or not at all.

5. Unknown.... We have a bike in the shop which is running very hot and boiling over. We changed all parts we could think of, and still it is boiling over. Honda Europe doesn't know either anymore....

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
BTW, 250 is too much (you are supposed to shut down the engine at that temp.).

When it runs hot, mine stops at 230 (02 Cali model).

Hugo

If I shut down every time mine reached 250f I would be still stuck in city traffic. I really don't pay much attention anymore to the temp, as stated before its a everyday thing for me to hit the 230-250f

• 2 weeks later...

Well my bike is fine now. It just worries me I had to find the problem cause for myself.... My mechanic, nor Honda could find it....

The other bike I was talking about is still a problem. It boils over even driving at low speeds.....

Honda has used a new pomp, wiring, fan, radiator, radiator-cap, thermostat, temperature sensor, and all other things you can think of. It is not a blown gasket, not an electrical problem....

They don't know, and neither do we......

The owner is thinking about selling the bike now, and it is just 4 months old! (It was his third Blackbird...).

I say, Honda should replace the bike with a new one, but I doubt they will....

Back in May when I was replacing all the fluids on my '99 I used Engine Ice. No digital temp guage, but the needle doesn't seem t climb as high as it did before. I got stuck in a major traffic jam yesterday and the needle ust climbed up to the bottom of the wavey lines (for the Temp icon).

Back in May when I was replacing all the fluids on my '99 I used Engine Ice. No digital temp guage, but the needle doesn't seem t climb as high as it did before. I got stuck in a major traffic jam yesterday and the needle ust climbed up to the bottom of the wavey lines (for the Temp icon).