CBR1100XX.org Forum

Turn signal flasher rate

AZITPRO

I have installed one of those undertail units with LED lights. It looks great, but my turn signal flasher rate is very fast now. Has anyone else done this mod? Is there an easy fix to get the normal TS flasher rate back? Thanks for any help with this.

You have to install a resistor in line with the new LED bulb. It doesn't draw enough, so the bike thinks the bulb is out and increases the flash rate.

Someone probably knows what kind of ohms you'll need, but I don't.

The original turn signals pull about 1.85 amps of current. The LED's are pulling some amount LESS than that. My LED turn signals pull .035 amps which is 35 milli-amps. In order to calculate the size of the resistor that you will need:

Volts= E

Amps= I

Resistance= R

So, to determine the correct resistance ®, you will need to know what amount of current that the LED's pull, that are in your undertail.

R= E/I or in other words ...... Voltage divided by current.

My LED setup (only drawing 35 milliamps needed an additional 1.815 amps of current draw, to make the turn signal flasher operate at what the original current draw was (1.85 amps). So, if you divide 12 by 1.815, you are going to come up with a resistor that is approx. 7 ohms. R= E/I

Make sure that you use a resistor that will dissapate enough wattage for the give current and voltage rating. I ended up with a 7 ohm resistor that is rated at 15 watts (a little to small from a wattage standpoint), but the turn signals aren't on for more than 30 to 60 seconds at a time, plus they are off, on, off, on, off, on. Remember, you will need two resistors, one for each circuit....left turn signal and right turn signal. Also, this is very important.

The resistors are wired in parallel with the LED, not in series with it.

Hope this helps some.

Another option is to replace the flasher relay with a variable one. Something like a Tridon EL-12 avialable from your neighborhood auto parts place will work. It's what I used when I put LED brake lights/turn signals on my old Superhawk.

Mark

be careful using resistors lying around though... most are 1/4 or 1/2 watt only...

here's an 8 ohm resistor, close enough to the 7 previously suggested...

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...%5Fid=271%2D120

its good for 20 watts, perfect as 12 volts across 8 ohms draws 1.67 amps, giving you a load of exactly 20 watts.... although like previously mentioned, most of the light's duty cycle is in the off position. Assuming its on half of the time and then only for less than 30 seconds, a 10 watt resistor would be okay... just might get a bit warm if left on for a long time.

-John

I simply "tricked" the bike. I added another additional signals under my tail section, which illuminates out the exhaust hole on the tail. I wired it in-line with the junk LED's provided with the Mototek undertail. By basically "loading" up the wires, it returned to its normal flash rate. Sorry for not being concise with the electrical lingo, but it worked for me. :lol:

I used mini stalk Lockhart Phillips signals.

Yep, got the solid-state flasher on my bike. It is from Libertek. it is not cheap, about $45 shipped, but it goes on without cutting wires and can be removed and put on a different bike. Also, the flasher rate is adjustable. The unit is about the size of a silver dollar and is made with an anodized aluminum housing.

Howie

Yep, got the solid-state flasher on my bike. It is from Libertek. it is not cheap, about $45 shipped, but it goes on without cutting wires and can be removed and put on a different bike. Also, the flasher rate is adjustable. The unit is about the size of a silver dollar and is made with an anodized aluminum housing.  

Howie

Works good too!

I have been told that an electronic flasher will aleviate this issue but havent tried it as of yet...anyone else hear or try this?

Look two posts up from Yours :) It works and they are cheap.

Mark