CBR1100XX.org Forum

ROTORS?????

BIG BOY

Does anybody know if they can be seperated??

The carrier or section that mounts to the wheel and the section where the brake pads grab??

I have a cool powder coating idea, but i don't know if they can be seperated or not.

IF NOT, can they withstand the temp that they bake on the powder coating with???

I'd say they'd survive the temps of powdercoating, the rotor area gets pretty damn hot at times. Aluminum will withstand the heat as well. I think powdercoating uses an oven at 350 degrees F. Shouldn't be a problem.

Representatives of American Honda, who were nice enough to let us use their Valkyrie in this project, asked us to state that calipers and other brake components were not designed to be powder coated or polished and that the stresses of these processes may impair the ability of the parts to function up to the manufacturer's specifications. While neither Stankovich, Andrews, nor anyone at Motorcycle Cruiser has heard of problems associated with powder coating or polishing, extra care should be taken during the assembly and a test of full functionality should be conducted after modifying anything on a motorcycle as important as the brakes. We routinely check the calipers during our cleaning and maintenance regimen.

Source:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/powdercoat/

Powder coating uses 350 to 400 F depending on the type powder, etc.

As you are a big guy on a big fast, bad ass motorcycle............I would think about it........If you really want them colored I would go with a 2 component urethane paint.