CBR1100XX.org Forum

Gotta new tire and now I can't get the rear wheel back on!

MileHi

I can't freakin' believe it! I just can't get the rear axle to line up with the caliper bracket. I've used up all the tricks that I can think of... The adjusters are all the way in, I have plenty pf slack on the chain and I've even resorted to using a shovel under the tire to lift it straight up. But the damned right side of the wheel lines up below and to the rear of the f@&kin' caliper! I've done the 6mm shock shim. Would that make a difference? Do I need to disconnect the freakin' shock from the swingarm? Would removing the rear pads from the caliper help?

Suggestions guys!!! I wanna ride on Thursday and scrub the tire in!!!

My first guess would be that the brake caliper is the problem. Everything needs to be square and the pads pushed back into the calipers. If the wheel is tilted at all you will have the problem you are describing.

That's kinda what I'm thinking... In the AM I'll try removing the pads for a little more wiggle room. I think I just reached my maximum frustration point. When I hit the wall like that I have to walk away befroe I damage stuff! :evil:

Whatever you do, do NOT do the "American Chopper wheel install technique", which is using a BIG ASS SLEDGE to install the axle. Not only do you risk messing up your axle, you will DEFINITELY tear up the bearings. I know it can be frustrating, as my first time was too, but now I can do a rear wheel swap (I have 3) in about 2 minutes.

Whatever you do, do NOT do the "American Chopper wheel install technique", which is using a BIG ASS SLEDGE to install the axle. Not only do you risk messing up your axle, you will DEFINITELY tear up the bearings. I know it can be frustrating, as my first time was too, but now I can do a rear wheel swap (I have 3) in about 2 minutes.

That's exactly why I stepped away from the machine. I have 3 1/2 # hand sledge that's perfect for THAT job!!! I just popped an Ambian and I'm startin' to drift off into la-la land... In the morning I will mull over it with a pot of coffee and plan my attack. What really gets me is that it took us less that 20 minutes to setup the HF tire stand and remove the old tire, mount the new tire and balance it... My problem is... I haven't bled on it enough

Well G'night guys... I'll catch up with ya in the morning... Post if y'all think of anything else!

TIA

I ran into the same thing last time I swapped tires the only thing that helped me was a second set of hands. :wink:

Well a second set of hands did come down to help... But he was already 3 sheets to the wind and was more of a hinderance than a help... :shock:

If you've shimmed the rear, the wheel may line up too high relative to the swingarm, which sounds like the opposite of what you're descibing, so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Did your old tire rest on the ground, or very close to it when the bike was on the centerstand?

Anyway, if that is the problem, letting the air out of the tire might solve it. That would allow the wheel to drop a bit and line up with the swingarm.

If it turns out this is the problem, just remember to put the centerstand on a piece of 1x6 before removing the wheel next time.

Well, I got the blasted tire on... I did have to remove the pads on the rear caliper and the wheel lined up w/o any probelms and the axle slipped right on through. Go figure! What gets me is that the pads weren't pressing against the rotor and I did have wiggle room (just not enough???). Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'm just glad the pads are so easy to remove and re-install!