CBR1100XX.org Forum

My bike is BROKE !

DaveK

2 weeks ago I wrenched down the GPS mount as is got loose from vibration. Last night I went out for a 150 mile ride and upon the sun going down I noticed my low beam was out (Fucking 100W bulb thread) and earlier I saw a hot 12 year old female on the side of the road so I just had to honk....Actually about 20....but then no horn ? The button didn't even push in anymore. SO....I think by wrenching down the GPS mount I squeezed that whole instrument cluster and broke those two things inside. The whole unit is loose also. I opened it up and took it apart....can't see anything wrong....but what can I tell. So I put it back together and tightned the screws as tight as I could and it doesn't stay tight around the bar....It spins back and forth. SO....could the bulb be out...I don't think so...but possible. I am looking for recommendations and suggestions. I checked the fuses...no problems there. I definetly kind-a crushed the cluster...I am planning on ordering a new one from Ron Ayers by tomorrow....is this going to be difficult to hook up. When I took it apart I really couldn't see how the wires detached ?

Any help is appreciated.

Dave

From your description, I don't think your GPS mount has anything to do with it. It mounts on the master cyl. reservoir right?

After re, re, reading your post I think when you say instrument cluster you mean left handlebar switch housing??

If your mount is really jammed in there it may have tourqued the switch housing, they don't take abuse well. since you lost horn and headlight it prob. is a problem it the left housing.

It sounds like the pin that goes in the hole in your handlebar is broke, that's why it spins.

I would assume when you buy a new left switch housing it has all the switches in it but I don't know.

To hook up you would have to follow down the wire towards the head light and find where the connectors are.

Hope this helps.

Shit Dave it sounds like the old "Excessive Wax Syndrome" You wax the bike so much, some of the wax got into your electronics! :shock:

Seriously though you prolly blew a fuse!

It plugs into the main harness above the headlight. You should only have to remove your windscreen to get to the connectors in there. Also, maybe the two small black panels/covers below the dash cluster, just to get to some wire ties under there.

Instead of using the U-bolt, when you remount the RAM mount bracket, maybe use the two bolts on the clutch perch. You would just need bolts about 1/4 longer. I had checked this, and they look to be about the same spacing as the holes in the RAM mount. Just haven't gotten around to doing mine, as I still need to order an extra hardwire for power.

Steve

Thanks guys...I just ordered a complete new assembly...and I will try Steves advise....on the clutch perch.

Just a real pain in the ass !!!

I also got caught in the rain on the way home...FUCK. Another entire weekend cleaning :roll:

Hehehe I think I found someone who waxes their bike as much as me!!!! I cant stand to have a dirty bike, bugs on it drive me insane. To make it even worse I use the last 2 stages of the meguiars 3 stage deep crystal every time I do it so its 2x as much work. Keeping the fastest color XX pretty is a tough job.

Steve...does that work with the XX ?  That is a 929 I think ?

Dave

They have two different sizes. I figured one of them would fit the XX.

Maybe I'm wrong. I haven't checked the size on the XX stem against what they are selling. If you bought one, you might be able to adapt it to the XX hole size if necessary using a different size piece of rubber vacuum hose. They hold by squeezing and expanding the rubber plug.

Another option is using either item L or M on this page. It has a picture of all their parts here:

http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gallery/parts.html

You could probably use either of them on the top tree bolt or the clip-on bolt.

Steve