CBR1100XX.org Forum

WOW!! Never realized the power of 6mm's.

K-TOOL

Did the whole 6mm spacer to the rear shock the other day. :shock: Man what a difference. I agree w/ some of the previous posts, it kinda feels like the bike shed 40 pounds. Turn in is really easy. Oh yea, backin it in seems to happen without effort. Almost scary but not quite. Any more than 6mm would definitely be to much. The back seems to be a little more sensitive to mid corner throttle inputs. Also it got rid of my 45-50mph deceleration headshake. Great upgrade! All praise goes to the all knowing forum.

Thanks a bunch

Before I got my adjustable link, I used regular washers with the side noched out so I could slide them in without taking off the shock. The washers look like a u when you are done with them. Someone said they used fender body shims that are used on cars to line up the bodywork. Or you can remove the shock and put full washers on the top of the shock and reinstall.

Not off the top of my head. I have a bunch of metric bolts and washers at the house that I used. Pop the seat off and it's right there at the back of the tank. Easy to get to and to judge size

This is what I run now. Good for whatever mood you're in. Low or High?

20047202739413282450446.jpg

Just did the same 6mm modification last week before my wife and I rode through Yosemite for the weekend. Even riding two-up there was no problem with bottoming out.

The size of fender washers recommended on the IXXRA forum is 12mm inside diameter and 28mm outside diameter. I used 4 washers wich equated to 6mm thickness, but were a few mm larger than the recommended just because I used what I had rather than making a special trip to the hardware store. Worked fine.

One comment, I measured the chain sag before and after the spacer modification and noticed that my chain loosened up by at least 1/2" afterwards due to the different angle of the swingarm.

So, where do you put these washers? I assume you loosen the top bolt and let it drop about 10 mm, then slide in the cut washers and tighten it up again?

And people are mentioning not grounding out, why would you, wouldn't it raise the rear end of the bike but pushing the swing arm down a bit?

Cool deal K-tool,

I'll have to sit on it then next time your up at the Steak N Shake.

I used a chrome spacer that just happened to be 6mm. No reason for the chrome, just happened to be the right size and thought one would be better than 3 or four. The ID is 3/8" SAE. The chain was awfully close to the center stand after the install. When the bike is on the side stand the chain very nearly rests on the centerstand. It was way to close for me. I just took the damn thing off.

Demon-

That adjustable link is SCHWEET. More pics.

Blaine-

Now everybody meets at HOOTERS right down the street. C-ya there.

More to come shortly. Just got my new to me wheel from Purple Passion in today :cool: . It's fully polished like my rear. I polished my rotor carriers on the front as well. Mine's lowered for drag racing right now. Hope to get it all back together tonight and snap some pics tomorrow in the light.

ok... I found 3 washers at work.. Broke out the digital micrometer and they add up to 5.3 mm :cool: good enough for government work.. If it improves it enough to where I like it I will go back and get my wifes uncle to machine me one :wink:

So like Demon said, got washers cut a slot into them to make them "U" shaped popped of the gas tank, loosened the shock nut and slid them in.. Tighten the nut back down and adjusted the chain slack.. No rubbing and haven't done a test ride yet...

did I miss anything :roll: its been a long day, and I went ahead and tackled this since I didn't feel like finishing up cutting my grass :grin:

Would dropping the front instead of raising the rear do the same thing?

Yes and no.....there are some distinct differences. Now that I've opened my mouth, I have to say that I'll address this later.....hurried right now.

But that at least answers your question...... :razz:

I totally agree with Joe. I did this last year, at the beginning of the season, trying to find a "perfect" setup. Dropped the forks 6mm, and the bike turned in much better. Felt awesome with a passenger, but was a bit hairy when solo riding.

Raised the front up again, and installed the 6mm spacer. Bike handled great solo, and much better than stock when 2-up. I now have an Ohlins with remote preload adjustment, so that'll help with the adjustments, too.

Shock bolt OD is 10mm. As stated above, 3/8" SAE washers will work fine, as the SAE washers tend to be a bit larger on the ID than they are advertised as.

Thanks Joe. I dropped the rear 1" with a dog bone and slide the tubes 8 & 1/2 tenths to start. I guess I should go a little more down in the front looking for the twitchy feeling and back it off a hair. I would rather it be a little slow turning in than it doing something strange at 160 mph!

BTW-dealing with the bike day in and day out, I love the lowered stance.

Ok, so for a guy who's 5'6" and weighs 160 lbs... how much will the bike be affected by adding the 6mm spacer? I'm already at close to my limit for getting my feet to touch, etc, when on the bike.

Also.. has anyone done the pictures with step by step instructions? If so.. where?