CBR1100XX.org Forum

Grips

MaXX

I did a search and came up empty handed. I am looking for some good ST grips. I little thicker would be nice. Bruce, what grips do you have and where did you get them???

Mac

i picked these up at carlos' recommendation. (before my 26 hour road trip on the bird.) they feel great. i can't remember what the model # was, but there is one particular model # that you're supposed to get. i asked that question last fall in a thread, but of course that's toast now.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/newhome.html?/mod...gelgrips.html&2

The 714 is exactly like what I have. I'm sure like most things they get sold with different names on the package. Mine certainly said Pro Grips on the package; that's what Cycle Gear carries.

www.hotgrips.com

They r a significantly bigger diameter than stock. At first they felt weird due to the size difference, but now i really like them. I get much better leverage on the throttle so really improves the long haul riding since u don't have to grip nearly as hard. they r longer also so got more room to work with that way. i got 'em thru www.sporttouringusa.com and they supply the honda bar end plastic spacers free since honda insists on being different than everybody else. i just got the hi/low/off switch that comes standard which works good, the variable controller would be nicer. hi mode is really hot, but works fantastic w silk glove liners and thick goretex mittens, the heat convects thru entire hand and super toasty, when it gets really cold up here in the tundra (i ride in the rain too, never said i was smart :roll: ). they may not work w your throttlemeisters, better check that out.

IMPORTANT TIP: When installing hotgrips, make SURE u install any speed control device at same time, trust me.

I just installed a set of the HotGrips on mine last month. They are awesome! Now, I will never have a bike without heated grips.

http://www.hotgrips.com/sportbike.html

Hot Grips are 1-7/16" outer dia., and the stock grips are 1-1/4" outer dia.

I too like the larger diameter. The rubber in them is slightly harder than stock.

Riding with the temps down into the 50's, low setting is great with some basic uninsulated leather gloves. The comfort difference is incredible.

On the web site, they now sell some gloves that are insulated on the back side to cut wind chill, but not on the face, so that the heat can radiate through them. I plan on ordering and trying out a pair.

They work great with an NEP CC3 throttle lock, and I just had to use one of the spacers. You can get the longer grips and use the spacers, or even ditch the bar ends and have closed grip ends. Boring a hole in the end of the grips is optional.

I think the Throttlemeister works, if you buy the short stock length grips.

It is discussed on their site.

Another brand, by Oxford Products has a 1-5/16" outer dia., available here: http://www.lockitt.com/AccessoriesGrips3.htm

These only come in 4 7/8" length, but the 1/8" lip on the outer end could be trimmed so they have a stock length to work with the Throttlemeister. Their softness of the rubber is probably closer to stock, but they have more texture, so give a good grip.

Steve

Steve,

Could you put the NEP CC3 on after u installed the hotgrips ( :roll: on me for being an airhead)? If so, could u briefly outline any differences from standard installation instructions. Thanks.

p.s. they r also great if u get caught in rain w/o rain gloves, turn dem babies on and warms those cold damp hands.

Could you put the NEP CC3 on after u installed the hotgrips

Yes. The NEP goes on without grip removal.

As far as heated grips, I just found the Hot Grips way to chunky and hard. I went with the heated inserts ($27) from http://www.heeters.com instead, so I could use the gel grips. Perfect results.

The pro grips are very nice and spongy.

I have also used the BMW grips which are very nice also.

The BMW grips are tapered small on the inside and larger towards the bar end. They work nicely for me on longer trips when my hands are seeking larger or smaller grip diameters for comfort....

They are a bit pricey at $7 to $10 per grip dependent on BMW stealer....

Jim

Steve,  

Could you put the NEP CC3 on after u installed the hotgrips ( :roll: on me for being an airhead)? If so, could u briefly outline any differences from standard installation instructions. Thanks.

p.s. they r also great if u get caught in rain w/o rain gloves, turn dem babies on and warms those cold damp hands.

Only if you left enough space between the switch housing and the grip.

The NEP lock fits between the ridge on the throttle tube, and the housing.

If you didn't push the grip past that, you are ok. The hot grip has a recess around the edge, so it is possible to push it on past this point.

Since they are glued on with epoxy, you can't really remove afterwards.

You could alway buy a new throttle tube (@ $15), and a replacement right side hot grip (@ $55)

Steve

Only if you left enough space between the switch housing and the grip.

That's what i was afraid of. I'll measure to see how much gap there is (knowing me i shoved it in there tight). Could someone who has a NEC CC3 installed measure the gap required. Thanks in advance.

Could someone who has a NEC CC3 installed measure the gap required. Thanks in advance.

Mine has a barely-visible gap. If you have rubbing issues, drop some baby powder in there. DO NOT use any liquid lubes; it will make the lock itself slippery and it won't work. Don't ask me how I know that...

• 3 weeks later...