CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front Fork Seal Blown?

Slipperman

So, not being the most mechanically inclined, I was getting the oil changed in my Bird last week. I went to a new shop here in town for the first time cause they're right by my house and I thought I'd give them a try.

After the guy was finishing up my oil change (he was actually polishing the bike up for me!), I was about the go pay, and the guy said "ohh man, your fork seals are blown." He showed me a little spot of muck below one of the seals, and rubbed his finger through it and said "see there." I thought "oh shit" we've gotta fix that. He gave me a quote of about $200.00 for the job. It was the end of the day so I told him I'd bring it in the following Monday.

Well, I've never noticed any performance issues with my suspension. In fact, my forks feel great to me. Just the right amount of stiffness for handling, and never dive. I decided to clean the little patch of muck off the fork and continue riding over the weekend then check to see if any more muck accumulates. It didn't. Clean as a whistle.

Not having a history with this mechanic, I was wondering if there are any other signs or things to check to know if I truly have a problem with my seals. My 99 Bird only has about 7,500 miles on it.

I should add, that when I bought my bike used about a month ago, it was absolutely filthy from top to bottom. Dirt, grime and god knows what was everywhere. It cleaned up nicely and people who see it now can't believe it's 5 years old. My point is that I may easily have missed a spot on the forks while cleaning it up.

Just blew one of mine out a few weeks ago and replaced it myself.

First the sign: Oil seepage above the seal on either side, this can range from a little oil to a complete blow out usually caused by either too much oil or dirt stuck to the fork tube then destroys the seal. Everytime you wash the bike or take trips wipe down the fork tube and this will help a lot! Often times they will go by themselves after @15-25K miles, no big thing.

The repair: you should do both sides as you will already have it apart. The repair takes about 4 hours from start to finish and is very straight forward requiring only one small tool (the long allen wrnech that fits through the axle hole up to the 6mm screw - this will also have to be properly torqued back. You can easily cut an allen wrench and use that instead with a 6mm small socket wrench).

The cost: 4 hours, two seals at about @$18.51 each from Ron Ayers, and some fork oil @ $10 as one quart does it all.

Steve

If you want a write up on how it's done let me know

They're not "blown." They may be slowly leaking, but it's not something to rush to fix. Keep a close eye on this as they could start leaking more and could lube the brake pads if it gets severe.

Oil seepage above the seal on either side

i have this symptom also, right hand fork, little seepage. i'm assuming the fork seal is where the smooth part of the forks slide into the bottom portion of the forks.

when i had my fork oil changed at 30k (i'm at 38k now), the svc mgr told me that i needed to start wiping this smooth part of my forks down more often (since i was a high mileager) as i was building up tiny dots of rust spots, and when they slide up and down, in and out of the fork seals, they'll create leaks.

he recommended a rag with wd40 sprayed on it for the cleanin, whihc i have been doing religiously.

- a DIY would be great - I've always thought to replace fork seals i'd have to remove the forks?

i just don't understand how this happened within 8k miles though...

You guys are right. My bike was very sloppy looking when I bought it used. I don't think the original owner EVER cleaned it. That would probably explain why one of the forks is leaking with such low miles. I keep my bike spotless, but I fear I'm too late because it is indeed seeping oil. I'm getting it fixed tomorrow so it won't progress any further. I'm gonna let somebody else do it because I don't feel confident enough yet to take my own forks apart.

One of my fork seals has been replaced three times under my extended warranty. The third one began leaking within 50 miles and the dealership is now going to contact Honda and try to have the fork tube replaced. Although it is now completely clean and smooth, the new seal leaks anyway.

The Service Manager suggested that occasionally, they see a fork tube that is not perfectly smooth and has the slightest wave to it. When that happens, the seal will always seep a small amount even though there is no damage to the tube or to the seal.

I'm waiting to hear how it turns out

S.O.P. for changing/ replacing fork seals is you carefully check the fork tube for any imperfections (ie pits, burs, etc) and smooth out with Krokus (spelling?) before you reassemble.

As for having a shop do this - I would highly recommend either doing it yourself or watching carefully as it's very rare that a shop will check the tubes, torque the bolts properly, or pay attention when refilling the oil to get the proper "distance" measurement for the fork oil but they will opt for the easier volume method (this is NOT accurate). The whole process takes about 4 hours to do it right and is not hard at all.

steve

NOPE... even though three new seals have been installed under warranty and it still leaks, Honda won't replace the fork tube (which is not damaged)

I suppose that I should just order a new one from Ron Ayers.

Which part number do I need for a 2001???

Thanks

PN# 51490-MZ1-305 price $18.51 each, recommend doing both at once. Don't forget some fork oil too!

Make sure you check the fork tubes very well for imperfections otheriwse you'll be doing this repair again really soon. Take them out with Krokus (spelling?) cloth ... may not be a bad idea to polish them with some Mother's polish and lastly spray them down with WD40 before rides...

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

did a search, came up empty handed, so figured i'd hijack this thread.

or pay attention when refilling the oil to get the proper "distance" measurement for the fork oil but they will opt for the easier volume method (this is NOT accurate).

any suggestions what tools to acquire to measure this oil distance?

and this might be a stupid question, but if one side was leaking, and isn't anymore, did it fix itself? i'm betting it didn't and the oil is low enough where it isn't leaking anymore, becasue it isn't.

and the front end feels kinda bouncy bouncy instead of solid planted.

thoughts?

i'm not going to assume that my left fork is the proper height of oil (the rt has leaked), '02 with 1.05 springs, what height is recommended? will i find this in my manual? i haven't researched that yet... too lazy

To measure the oil distance simply use a tape measure measuring from teh top of the tube down... when the oil touches the little metal end that tells you your measurement. The measurement should be 142 mm or 5.6" from the top of the tube to the oil with the springs out. In order to get this accurate make sure the tube is off the bike.

Steve