CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tyre Cupping

xxexcess

Let me guess, looks like it has a few "dented" spots where the tire's arc isn't quite what it used to be?

Insufficient tire carcass strength, riding a long while with low tire pressure, riding a big-ass fookin heavy sumbitch ride like the bird on under-spec tires... Will do it to ya every time!!! :razz:

I do believe you've witnessed cupping in the wild... I had that with 020s as well, which is why I don't ride them anymore... I liked the tires, but it was an expensive habit... :???: :???: :???:

Bang on with the description, thing is got an 012 on the rear so i may try one of these on the front giving me a matched pair until they are both shot, i got a few more miles left in the front before i change, may just see the summer out.

Iain

Here's a quick summary of tires used on the Blackbird.

Dunlop. Front tires cup.

Bridgstone. Front tires cup.

Metzler. Wears out quickly.

Avon. Front end wobbles under deceleration.

Michelin. Made in France. :lol:

My Avon's have been perfect so far, as far as cupping goes.

The decel wobble was eliminated when I replaced the steering head bearings. If you guys haven't checked yours, I would strongly recommend you do. Mine were barely hand tight, and the Honda spec is something like a 3-5lb pull on the outermost portion on the bar.

That's quite a bit of preload :shock: If your bars flop side to side with the front end off the ground, they're too loose.

So far with 2K on the front Avon 45, no cupping or the dreaded deceleration wobble. The Dunlop 205, now that's a different story. Couldn't trust em in the corners they were cupped out so bad. When pushed real hard, the front tire felt like it was pushing real bad, especially 2-up. No problems out of the Avon. Smooth as silk

I've got a little over 5K on my Avon AV45 and absolutely NO cupping. I run approx. 39 - 40 PSI in the front, under the day to day riding scenarios. 36 - 37 PSI when I'm going to push it a bit, (seXXt, Hoot, ect.)

Actually, I couldn't think of any thing bad to say about Michelin Pilot Road tires. They stick well, the front tires don't cup, and it looks like the rear tire may outlast any other tire that I have used on my bike.

The tire profiles seem to work well with my riding style. With other tires, the back tires would wear clear to the edges, but the front tires always showed chicken strips. With the Pilot Road tires, I am now using both tires right to the edge.

And, they cost a fair amount less than the Avon's.

Let the flames begin.

i ran BT010s on my TLR, man those fuckers cupped QUICK! went thru 3 in the 6k miles i had it. my XX came with the stock bridgestones, i got rid of them quickly. after 16k miles, i finally put on my second avon front, and just put on the third rear. good stuff, although i hear the pilot roads are the dog's dangles. if i hadn't gotten another avon rear, i would have gone with them.

• 2 months later...

i love the grip on my m1 metzlers no cupping on the front but the rears go fast under hard use three to one so far no burnouts ever well maybe when they get bald once or twice for a couple hundred feet but better than the dunlaps i first had they cupped, thought it was a byproduct of sitting the front tire down at 100+ after a good wheelie i know they bark and smoke huh

Same thing on mine Dunflop 207 cupped at 3K on my XX same thing on my old CBR1000F 205s and 207s cupped , I have a set of Michelin Macadam 100s I need to use before I get the Pilot Roads any feedback on those is helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
Same thing on mine Dunflop 207 cupped at 3K on my XX same thing on my old CBR1000F 205s and 207s cupped , I have a set of Michelin Macadam 100s I need to use before I get the Pilot Roads any feedback on those is helpful.

I had Macadam 100X on my VTR, good tires! I would suspect that the Pilot Roads are replacing the Macadam 100X...

My bike came with Macadam 100s and the front started cupping at around10,000km [i ride with 40-42 front and 42 psi rear] and half my distance is two up with lots of luggage.

I now have Pilot Roads and have about 6,000 km on the front with no cupping, and 10,000km on the rear. The differences between the 2 tires seem to be that the Pilot Roads stick better on most surfaces except for tar snakes [the bike then slides sideways and grabs]. They offer me enough grip for the speeds I ride at-slower than R1s, etc, and XXers who are young and brave, faster than BMWs, and way faster than Harleys.

TimXX

Done 2 Pilot Roads fronts/4 rears, no cupping on fronts, 1st 4 me on any ride, very solid S/T tire, made in Spain if read news article right. M1s on new XX, much better stick/great tire, but going thru thead so fast no time to cup, going back to Roads in inventory when consumed (which will be sooner than later, esp. rear)!