CBR1100XX.org Forum

190/50/17 on my 'Bird?

Squirtster

Howdy from Kentucky, Y'all,

Got a friend at the local Honda dealer (I used to work there) and has a set of zero mile take-offs from a Suzuki for $100.00. Problem is they are Bridgestone 120/70 in the front, and 190/50 in the back. Will they fit, and if so, will they cause any negative handling effects? I ride it hard, but not extremely so, and this seams too good to pass up, even if I only buy them and sell the rear on eBay. Whadda ya think?

You will be O.K. with that 190 in the back.At one point I put used Milchelin Pilot Sport in the back.

Theoretically wider, flatter rear will slow handling somewhat,but I did not notice anything major.Or you could measure hight of 180 tire vs.190 and drop front forks the same distance to compensate.

Anyway,go for it.

Tomek, I disagree on the flatter, wider part for the rear... When you put a wider tire on the same size rim, it actually makes it taller with more tread at the sides. A friend of mine with a '96 (or 7, don't remember) YZF600R kept running off the edge of his rear before the front ran out of tread on the front, so this last time, he put a rear on that was 10mm wider than stock, and now he says it turns in alot quicker ('drops' into corners, which he likes), and there are currently no chicken strips on the front tire, and about 1/4" on each side of the rear. He said it is wearing the rear faster in the middle, now that there is less contact patch there though. Just my $.02

One of the motorcycle mags did an article on this very subject. They said the contact patch is the same when leaned way over, but the different shape of the tire being squeezed on the narrower wheel made turn-in feel different. They said it was the radius change from the flatter center to the same side radius that actually reduced your contact patch when half leaned. It goes from a smooth radius on the stock size to more of a multi radius on the wider tire.

Bartonmd, I was talking specificly about 180/55 vs 190/50 on 5.5 inch rim,in this case 180 will give taller profile,I guess.Or maybe I`m wrong. :):)

Yzf 600 comes with what 4.5,5.0 ? rim and 160 or 170 rear?

Tomek,

I didn't catch the /55 vs the /50, but it's probably still the same result. The 190 will probably still be alittle taller. On car tires, a 205/55 is the same height as a 215/50. The sidewall '/50' is not a measurement, but a % of the width. With the tire being wider, but with the same height sidewall, it will still bow up in the middle more than the 180 and will probably be taller.

His YZF came with 160, he had 170 on it last time, and this time, he put a 180 on it. He doesn't ride halfway over alot, so he says they feel fine. He's either droning along, doing wheelies, or hangin it out all the way.

Nah, I'll stick with my unsubstantiated opinion, myself. :grin:

Duc's come with 190 rears mounted on a 5.5 inch rim. Again, magazines say they handle better if you go down to a 180. The profile of a bike tire changes opposite of what you would think when you downsize the rims.

Due to the carcass design, maximum OD is already established before you mount the tire, so pulling in the edges has to distort the tire in a different manner. What happens is the tread flattens out (like Joe said), and you get a smaller contact patch during moderate cornering.

Max lean would be similar, but the transition will feel strange. Probably still better than a worn out, squared off 180, but a brand new 180 will handle better than a 190, IMO.

Due to the carcass design, maximum OD is already established before you mount the tire, so pulling in the edges has to distort the tire in a different manner. What happens is the tread flattens out (like Joe said), and you get a smaller contact patch during moderate cornering.

What he (and Joe) said. :wink:

Sorry bartonmd but 180/55 is taller in the most cases then 190/50.You would get theoretical height of 99mm for 180/55 and 95mm for 190/50.

Wider and shorter tire has flatter profile.

In reality tire width and height will vary but they have to mark tires somehow.If we compare same brand and type of 180/55 vs 190/50 latter will always be shorter.

If we put tire on narrower rim profile at the middle will not change much but right at the edge radius will decrease reducing contact patch.Tire diameter in the middle won`t increase because of belts.If you have old,new tire try to press beads together and see how it works.

190/55 will offer less grip at the full tilt and sidewalls flex more

Tire makers now begin to offer 190/55 and 190/60 in race D.O.T. skins but before you could not even get 190 in the race compound.

190/50 is pure show, squid thing,or for drag racing

I'd put a 190 on the bird if I was going to do A LOT of drag racing. With the stock wheel, the 190 doesn't really offer more traction in a straight line than a 180 with less pressure for draggin. I'm not really willin to give up some contact patch in the area of the tire that 99% of us use in 75% of the cornering that we do. Really, how often do you drag pegs on a daily basis? I don't. Most of my cornering on a daily basis is about half leaned over. Just where you don't want a reduced contact patch. A friend of mine has a GSXR 1000 and the first thing he does is take the 190 off and puts a 180 on. He OWNS the dragon. I can't even keep him in sight. They handle better than the 190's. Period