CBR1100XX.org Forum

MICHELIN PILOT ROAD VERDICT!!!!!!!!!!!

bbirdxx2000

Finally early in the week we got about two days of good solid rain in the Southerntier of NY and Northern Pa. This rain cleaned off the roads so I can finally take a hard ride :cool: Last week I had 3/16ths chicken strip, today 1/16th :shock: any maybe going 8/10ths :)

These are the best handling tire's period :-o :-o Got them leaned over and purposely shook the bars :cool: , could not shimmy the front end. Holds a line even when hitting unevenpavement, say 80 mph leaned :cool: . Running 38/38, as sson as the temps get up will bump to 42/42. Mileage 1500 so far and no wear :cool: , to early to tell but may get 8,000 rear :grin: Definitly over 6,000.

Harry

I'm running Pilot Sports and just love the sticktion they offer. Longevity suffers... but that's also due to riding temprament. If you do track work I'd recommend the Pilot Sports or even Metzeler Rennsports, for Roadwork the Pilot Road should be good.

I put 36 on the front and 38 on the back.

Cheers,

Phil

Agree, the Pilot Roads are an awesome tire for stability and stick. I did the 5 hour ERC on Saturday with new Roads (about 300 miles) and wow, was that a confidence builder. Great class, learn new stuff and had a blast doing it. On the front, she is scrubbed right out to the edge of the tread. I was consistently touching down peg feeler thingys and instructor said if lean 'er anymore the lower fairing is gonna kiss pavement. Several times he held his forefinger next to thumb during different parts of the course indicating how close it was, felt great. Tires stuck like velcro, the roll in was very predictable. Pavement conditions was less than ideal since it was part of a truck driving course at vo-tech w patches of oil and some very fine loose sand in places left over from winter yet.

The braking part of the course really proves to yourself just how hard can brake and how much the LBS helps keeps things level and orderly. The front tire was sticking so good the rear tire came up a couple of times. Never done that before, really builds the confidence.

One part of the class has u leaned over thru a turn and then u have to emergency brake after u straigthen 'er up and bring everything to a controlled stop within a channel only a few feet wide. The 1st time was pretty intimidating, but once u get thru the initial fear of it, it was a breeze.

Roll in, roll out and squeeze dose brakes, no fuss/no muss.

Only downside is on the way home i was ripping thru the corners at a considerably faster pace (careful big guy, don't feed yerself too much rope) and the higher speed stability is very impressive. Great tire, even moreso if it gets decent mileage.

Michelin builds very good tires all across the line, Pilot Sport,Road,H2,100X,can`t go wrong with Michelin.Did trackday Sunday on H2`s,awesome tire,lightning years better then 208GP and little better then Supercorsa.

What trully sucks they are a French company.

On my current set of Michelin Pilot Sports I've done 4000km and the rear needs replacing soon. The front has still half way to go.

Compared to the BT020's I had on my VFR this is peanuts (I'd get 10K km out of those, front and rear), but the XX is much more powerful, heavier, more beautiful, etc, so no real comparison.

Has anyone tried out the new Pirelli Diabolo on the XX? I hear good things about these tyres, am tempted to give 'em a go next time round.

Just wondering what mixing is possible here...

I had a 020 / 020 setup, but the front was starting to cup (mostly city traffic), and I just put on the HPX on the front. Feels much nicer, but I'm still on my 020 rear which has a good bit of tread left (75% or so) ...

I still have less than 100 km on the front, but am wondering if this sounds like an unreasonable setup...

Thoughts?

Michelin builds very good tires all across the line, Pilot Sport,Road,H2,100X,can`t go wrong with Michelin.Did trackday Sunday on H2`s,awesome tire,lightning years better then 208GP and little better then Supercorsa.

What trully sucks they are a French company.

Like Oil-comparing race tires is a tad controversial--but a comment like "H2`s,awesome tire,lightning years better then 208GP and little better then Supercorsa" is a tad far-fetched---I havent used the H2s and I never will, they have a pretty nasty reputation out here of "letting" go at odd times--I have too many friends that went from Dunlop D208GPs to H2s and crashed due to some weirdness, most were pretty accomplished racers.The S2/M2 is supposed to be better combo. I used to use the Rennsports(same as the Persmellis) RS1/2. But the rear would be dust in a single day, so I upgraded to the D208GP-As, they work very well and the rear tends to last about 2X longer than the Rennsports

I just spooned on some Pilot Roads and love 'em. Haven't been able to push them yet as it has been raining here quite a bit which has cut down on riding, but very stable, a bit more force required for turn-in than the old 100X due to different front profile. I'm using the Roads as I need more than 2-3K miles out of a set of tires, and besides, in my opinion, anyone who thinks they need Pilot Sports or similar for street duty on an X is mistaken. It all comes down to set-up.

Howie

Like Oil-comparing race tires is a tad controversial--but a comment like "H2`s,awesome tire,lightning years better then 208GP and little better then Supercorsa" is a tad far-fetched---I havent used the H2s and I never will, they have a pretty nasty reputation out here of "letting" go at odd times--I have too many friends that went from Dunlop D208GPs to H2s and crashed due to some weirdness, most were pretty accomplished racers.The S2/M2 is supposed to be better combo. I used to use the Rennsports(same as the Persmellis) RS1/2. But the rear would be dust in a single day, so I upgraded to the D208GP-As, they work very well and the rear tends to last about 2X longer than the Rennsports
[/quote/

208 Gp had same high speed instability problems ,at least on my R1 at 150+ (Road America,Grattan) otherwise very forgiving,used to run sc1/sc2 combo,rear was pretty much toast after one day.

H2 needs long warm up,like two laps but other then that I like the feedback and the way the rear slides/drifts.It seems to last longer too.

My reasoning for going to Michelins is as follows:every GP team uses Michelins (O.K. there are some exceptions but those teams don`t count) and you hear all those guys who learnt to ride on Dunlops having problems with French tires after the switch,so when finally Honda/ Yamaha/Ducati calls me I will be ready :grin:

I`ve have not tried 208 Gp A but I`m pretty much stockpiled for the season,maybe next year.

BTW H2 turns in much better on the brakes.

Also, perhaps "lightning years better" was a slight overkill :oops:

[/quote/

208 Gp had same high speed instability problems ,at least on my R1 at 150+ (Road America,Grattan) otherwise very forgiving,used to run sc1/sc2 combo,rear was pretty much toast after one day.

H2 needs long warm up,like two laps but other then that I like the feedback and the way the rear slides/drifts.It seems to last longer too.

My reasoning for going to Michelins is as follows:every GP team uses Michelins (O.K. there are some exceptions but those teams don`t count) and you hear all those guys who learnt to ride on Dunlops having problems with French tires after the switch,so when finally Honda/ Yamaha/Ducati calls me I will be ready :grin:

I`ve have not tried 208 Gp A but I`m pretty much stockpiled for the season,maybe next year.

BTW H2 turns in much better on the brakes.

Also, perhaps "lightning years better" was a slight overkill :oops:

Another reason----http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/s...&threadid=28291----why I changed from the Metzlers--they would "cold tear" at ThunderHill after 1/2 day---but with all due respect, a buddy of mine runs s2/m2 on an F4i---and kicks ass--he was the guy running 19th in the Infineon AMA supersport race race before he got taken out in T1 by the kawasaki-weenie

Having said that, the D208GP-A is definitely the tire of choice in the AMA, for me they just plain last alot longer--ie two whole days from a rear---but of course, I have the less powerful 929 :roll:

Seems like the "high speed Instability issues" are more of a set-up issue-I had to change things around a tad--chnaging from the Rennsports which are incredibly stable. But 150 down the straight at T-Hill-No issues--however, the downhill part of the Laguna straight did incite a little wobble--but thats only at about 135 so its kind of fun. You might want to try the S2/M2 combo as the M2 is actually harder than the H2

Hey since I originally posted the Michelin sales brochure a few weeks ago, I've put on just over 3200 miles on these tires. The Pilot Roads does pretty much what the company claims. Its wearing out a little faster than the Macadams, we'll see how long it actually last.

Best thing though... NO CUPPING on the front tire. Even after repeated hard rides and braking at triple digit speeds. One slight draw back, its a little less stable at 160+ than the rounder profile Macadam 100X's. Small price for a quicker turning tire :) Until the something better comes along, the Pilot Roads will be the tire for my XX.

I just ordered a rear Pilot Sport 180 HPX today and a buddy is giving me a new 190 standard model. I think I'll throw on the 180 for Cody to try it out.

Hey Randy. I considered the HPX also. But no one keeps that tire in stock. And it was kinda pricy. Curious to see how well it works out for ya at Cody.

I'm needing a back tire real soon. Thinking of the Pilot Road but now have Pilot Sports front and back. Anyone see any major problem putting the Road on the back and leaving the Sport on the front 'till it wears out?

Gumbybob--I've been running that combination and it works great. Just finished one of Reg Pridmore's CLASS days at Streets of Willow. A little slippry for the 1st few laps (cold day & cold track) but once they got warmed up----fun for the rest of the day-----and getting great wear.

Happy trails kel

I just ordered a rear Pilot Sport 180 HPX today and a buddy is giving me a new 190 standard model. I think I'll throw on the 180 for Cody to try it out.

Hey Randy. I considered the HPX also. But no one keeps that tire in stock. And it was kinda pricy. Curious to see how well it works out for ya at Cody.

I am getting it installed this week. There kinda pricey but I figured I would give it a go. I also have a new 190 sitting aside incase I dont like it. Its what I have been running the last year on her. I ordered it from discount tire, $200 delivered.

I just spooned on some Pilot Roads and love 'em. Haven't been able to push them yet as it has been raining here quite a bit which has cut down on riding, but very stable, a bit more force required for turn-in than the old 100X due to different front profile.  I'm using the Roads as I need more than 2-3K miles out of a set of tires, and besides, in my opinion, anyone who thinks they need Pilot Sports or similar for street duty on an X is mistaken. It all comes down to set-up.

Howie

I live in Rapid City, SD. If you are familiar with this area then you no doubt have been in the Black Hills. There are many roads with tight twisties and beautiful scenery. I enjoy taking in this scenery… definitely at higher speeds than the typical cruiser rider. If I wanted to lug along on a cruiser… then I would have purchased a cruiser :wink:

I often ride with a semi-organized group of sport bike riders which consist of Honda’s, Suzuki’s, and Yamaha’s ranging from 600 – 1000cc. Many of the riders have complimented me for my ability to ‘throw’ the XX through the corners like a 600 and are downright amazed at the XX’s acceleration coming out of curves and on straight a ways. Some of the riders have also stated that they wish they had the XX’s horsepower as it ‘just walks away' from them.

I currently have the stock Dunlop 205’s. I am extremely disappointed with their traction abilities for braking, acceleration, and cornering. Yes, I have ordered a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport HPX’s and cannot wait until they are on my beloved ‘Bird! In my opinion, traction is extremely important for the type of riding that I do - as I know riders who have high-sided due to traction problems (perhaps some rider error, too?). I prefer to have a performance edge – if it means that I only get 2 - 3K miles out of a tire… so be it… I enjoy riding more than I enjoy crashing!

Pilot Roads may be good for your type of riding… maybe you should have bought a cruiser instead… so you can enjoy the scenery at a more leisurely, albeit grandfatherly, pace… chicken strips and all (friendly ‘jabs’… perhaps different riding styles?) :cool::kicknuts::poke:

IMHO… The XX is a beautiful, heavy, and powerful predator… did I mention heavy… which demands that her talons be always sharp or she will eventually bite the hand that feeds her!

Anybody have experience on B'stone BT020s? Previous owner fitted a new 020 rear (180 section) and the front needs replacing - considering the slighty stickier BT010 for the front...

I put another 1500KM on the rear and it's only good for a couple trackdays before it needs to go (legal limit, bla bla.) With that my rear Pilot Sports lasted some 5500 - 6000 km with some two-up and a lot of 200+kph runs. The front is still good, so I will most probably put another PS on the rear and leave the front.

Next tyre of choice going to be either Avons (due to the list raving about them :wink: ) or Pirelli Diabolo, due to my mates raving about them. Must see if I get a good deal on any of these.

Your statement regarding me possibly needing a cruiser isn't even worth responding to. Ask Hugo how I ride. Or better yet, next time your in Northern Cal. just look me up and we'll go for a ride

I just spooned on some Pilot Roads and love 'em. Haven't been able to push them yet as it has been raining here quite a bit which has cut down on riding, but very stable, a bit more force required for turn-in than the old 100X due to different front profile. I'm using the Roads as I need more than 2-3K miles out of a set of tires, and besides, in my opinion, anyone who thinks they need Pilot Sports or similar for street duty on an X is mistaken. It all comes down to set-up.

Howie

I live in Rapid City, SD. If you are familiar with this area then you no doubt have been in the Black Hills. There are many roads with tight twisties and beautiful scenery. I enjoy taking in this scenery… definitely at higher speeds than the typical cruiser rider. If I wanted to lug along on a cruiser… then I would have purchased a cruiser :wink:

I often ride with a semi-organized group of sport bike riders which consist of Honda’s, Suzuki’s, and Yamaha’s ranging from 600 – 1000cc. Many of the riders have complimented me for my ability to ‘throw’ the XX through the corners like a 600 and are downright amazed at the XX’s acceleration coming out of curves and on straight a ways. Some of the riders have also stated that they wish they had the XX’s horsepower as it ‘just walks away' from them.

I currently have the stock Dunlop 205’s. I am extremely disappointed with their traction abilities for braking, acceleration, and cornering. Yes, I have ordered a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport HPX’s and cannot wait until they are on my beloved ‘Bird! In my opinion, traction is extremely important for the type of riding that I do - as I know riders who have high-sided due to traction problems (perhaps some rider error, too?). I prefer to have a performance edge – if it means that I only get 2 - 3K miles out of a tire… so be it… I enjoy riding more than I enjoy crashing!

Pilot Roads may be good for your type of riding… maybe you should have bought a cruiser instead… so you can enjoy the scenery at a more leisurely, albeit grandfatherly, pace… chicken strips and all (friendly ‘jabs’… perhaps different riding styles?) :cool::kicknuts::poke:

IMHO… The XX is a beautiful, heavy, and powerful predator… did I mention heavy… which demands that her talons be always sharp or she will eventually bite the hand that feeds her!

OK, I don't know how to break this to you: Howard used to race Motocross/Flat track/Superbike and it shows. And I don't mean in a 'sipping a latte at Starbucks, DOOD you are faaaaast, lookie here my bling-bling gixxa' kind of way but in the 'Fuck where is he gone, shaking your head in disbelief'. Don't go there, unless you have taste for embarassement.

Hugo

:worship:

xrdracer wrote:

'... and besides, in my opinion, anyone who thinks they need Pilot Sports or similar for street duty on an X is mistaken. It all comes down to set-up.'

Hmmm... Maybe you guys can explain the ins and outs of 'set-up' to assist me with my re-education.

:whip:

But I'm still gonna run Pilots Sports (HPX)... so there :naughty:

• 3 weeks later...

Finally mounted my new pilot roads ... the diffrence is amazing... it like point and shoot now ...although my comparison is the bt57's :evil: that came on the bike when I got it....Oh what a diffrence a good tire makes

:grin: :grin: :grin:

R-