CBR1100XX.org Forum

Adventures in econobeaters

XXitanium

I took the kids car down to the shop. They had made an appointment with him to replace the front sway bar. 1993 Mazda Protege, 1.8L DOHC FI automatic. One of the end loops were broken. BTW, junior is a welder...

They couldn't source a replacement.

They cut off the arm at BOTH ends to keep them from hitting the CV axles.

Junior is quite pissed. He could have fixed it. Now its completely FUBAR.

https://welderseries.company.site/Sway-Bar-Kit-Trim-to-Fit-3-4-Bar-p49762034?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiApaarBhB7EiwAYiMwqsNnyiUBImRc5iPx3cz7zA1sl_vpVOGHd-3_ZcT5jatLRnVZSAADSRoCJ50QAvD_BwE

A little econobeated like that, i may have just driven it without the sway bar.

Edited by XXitanium

The problem is if it has "firm" suspension or "normal" suspension.  If it's firm, good luck.  There's like one in the US.  Almost all of them have normal.  Guess the only way to know is the dealer, which means unless it's some super rare package it's going to have normal.  Something that old it's going to be no longer available from the dealer, most likely nobody aftermarket is going to have it, and most shops aren't going to chase one down from a junk yard or it's not going to be cost effective.  It's also not cost effective to fix this, because for $40 you might as well just go buy a used one.  That place in New Mexico (Hollander parts link) will sell you one for 45 and ship it for 40 and even that isn't worth fixing the broken one nor driving any significant distance chasing one down.

12 hours ago, XXitanium said:

I took the kids car down to the shop. They had made an appointment with him to replace the front sway bar.

This is why I try to work on everything myself, well this and money.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it, drive it.  After a few weeks it will be forgotten about.

On 12/1/2023 at 5:25 PM, Furbird said:

That one was a winner. Apparently it's some kind of consortium. 

Their communication was stunted.

But, After I figured out what was going on and found the phone number for the local salvage that sold me my order, i got a guesstimated delivery for tomorrow.

THANK YOU