CBR1100XX.org Forum

"Our ancestors ate tons of salt and preserved everything in it!"

SwampNut

On a tangent during a meeting, one 'tard went on a rant about the "medical industry" telling people to cut back on salt.  This is dumb, she said, as evidenced by our ancestors eating a lot of it because it was needed as a preservative.  She actually had a ten pound bucket of something called "Russel's real salt" next to her damn desk to show on video.  WTF?

After the rant, I asked, "You mean back when the average lifespan was half of what it is now?"

Mass laughter.

Moran.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

On a tangent during a meeting, one 'tard went on a rant about the "medical industry" telling people to cut back on salt.  This is dumb, she said, as evidenced by our ancestors eating a lot of it because it was needed as a preservative.  She actually had a ten pound bucket of something called "Russel's real salt" next to her damn desk to show on video.  WTF?

After the rant, I asked, "You mean back when the average lifespan was half of what it is now?"

Mass laughter.

Moran.

Who knows if the ancestors ate even more salt they would have been well preserved as well!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

It's an interesting subject this one, as far as I know there are no studies that actually research and supply a recommended daily amount of salt.  The big issue we appear to have in the west is what's known as Table Salt in the UK, Sodium Chloride, too much sodium is definitely a bad thing.  I use the himalayan pink salt for flavouring both during cooking and also over food, I also use judicious quantities of black pepper.  The himalayan salt has a much lower amount of sodium than table salt and adds a bunch of other minerals that are supportive of your health.  It tastes good too.  I'm pretty healthy all told and this year have intentionally dropped a few inches round the waist.

5 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

A while back while we were on this subject I bought some Nu-Salt to replace the regular stuff.  It does NOT taste the same so I'm just trying to be sparse with the good stuff.

Some people say that, and I don't perceive a difference.  I think it may make a difference whether it's dissolved into something, or just topped over something.  But if I just sprinkle it on a potato, and air fry it, neither Moriah nor I can tell the difference.  And a friend said he thought he did notice it, then said he didn't.  Not sure what changed.

But, your method certainly is an improvement over just using sodium.