CBR1100XX.org Forum

Protein based super-sweetener with no glycemic impact or calories

SwampNut

Meh.  I think one of the hardest problems to solve is the fact that all super-sweeteners have zero body or bulk, so they feel different.  What I like to put in my espresso is more about the added body and flavor, not sweetening really.

On the other hand, I guess maybe the people addicted to sodas could at least reduce the amount of shit they consume?

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41587-023-01865-x?utm_source=tldrnewsletter

A biotech answer to the world’s epic sugar consumption could be in the works — if Amai Proteins gets its way. The synthetic biology company is gearing up to commercialize a microbially produced protein that on average is 3,000 times sweeter than sugar and, if widely adopted, could put a dent in the global metabolic disease and obesity epidemic. Amai is aiming for this protein to replace up to 70% of the added sugar without the health hazards and off-flavors of other synthetic and natural sweeteners.

Seems like almost every manufactured alternative to natural sugars turns out to have some critical drawback.  

"Sweet" is limited in the natural environment - either by quantity, demand, or season.  It's almost like our bodies weren't engineered to have refined, sugary stuff all the time.

1 hour ago, IcePrick said:

Seems like almost every manufactured alternative to natural sugars turns out to have some critical drawback.

That's why I stick with the real thing in moderation.  Remember when they came out with the alternative to butter, margarine? That didn't work out so well either.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

That's why I stick with the real thing in moderation.  Remember when they came out with the alternative to butter, margarine? That didn't work out so well either.  

"It's not nice to fool Mother Nature".

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 12:40 PM, SwampNut said:

Erithrytol is a natural, cheap, ultra low glycemic alternative with no health implications in moderation.

Sure, but if we could practice moderation, natural sugars would be acceptable "in moderation".  

True enough, though, "in moderation".  However, using it to replace the volume and quantity of sweetness many Americans are accustomed to in their diet may not be absent health implications.  People selecting foods marked "sugar free" and "diet" that use erithrytol may be ingesting substantial quantities of the product without knowing it; and there are indications that it does seem to be linked to cardiovascular issues in elevated concentrations: 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-023-02223-9

And in laypersons terms:

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/update-on-erythritol-sweetener-safety-are-there-side-effects/

If you're adding it to enhance natural foods and you're aware of the quantities involved, you can keep it within reasonable limits.  But ultimately, for now, the jury is still out on whether it is "safe" or not, and at what quantities.

I've always added sweetener of some sort and dairy to my coffee.  But I resolved to change that a couple years ago.  It's very difficult, if not impossible, to sweeten coffee naturally without glycemic and caloric impact while remaining within the world of natural sugars.  So the penalties of natural sugars are a necessity if one is to enjoy the luxury of added sweetness.   In moderation, of course.

Edited by IcePrick

20 minutes ago, IcePrick said:

I've always added sweetener of some sort and dairy to my coffee.  But I resolved to change that a couple years ago.  It's very difficult, if not impossible, to sweeten coffee naturally without glycemic and caloric impact while remaining within the world of natural sugars.  So the penalties of natural sugars are a necessity if one is to enjoy the luxury of added sweetness.   In moderation, of course. 

That's my only use of sugar.  Erythritol does give some amount of body like real sugar, but doesn't have the caramel goodness of raw sugar, or...black sugar.  The bomb.  Luckily I didn't inherit the desire for proper Cuban coffee and use only about 8-10 grams (30 calories).

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2023 at 2:40 PM, SwampNut said:

Erithrytol is a natural, cheap, ultra low glycemic alternative with no health implications in moderation.

Well, can someone quotes this, so some can see it before they drop dead? Thanks. 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/27/health/zero-calorie-sweetener-heart-attack-stroke-wellness/index.html 

Screenshot_20230929-170037.png

Edited by tomek

Quick, someone come up with a virus that a shot** of that stuff will cure*.

*edit*

*cure, as in, won't protect you from it or prevent transmission of it.

**edit2**

**"a shot", as in, a series of 3 or more, possibly extending to annually or semi-annually as required.

Edited by IcePrick
  • Haha 1