CBR1100XX.org Forum

Heat help

egadrotu

OK...this has got to change.

Houston is hot. To quote Biloxi Blues, "It's Africa hot".

90+ temps with 105 and up heat index from the humidity. The bird is my only transportation. In traffic, it burps coolant if still for too long. When I stop, it burps coolant after sitting for a minute or two as described in another thread. Black may be the fastest color, but in the sun it is also the hottest. I had a one foot by three inch, bright red heat rash on each leg where they gripped the tank.

I realize that there is not much I can do about my own personal discomfort, I can deal with that. But, the bird must run cooler. I can't keep spitting coolant out whenever the bike sits still for a few minutes.

Right now I am running 50/50 water and coolant with 5oz of Water Wetter.

The fan comes on just when it is supposed to and goes off after I get some speed up. All seems to work well enough.

What can I do to cool off the bird?

The Water Wetter instructions say to not use any coolant at all, so you guys using this, what's the correct way to do it?

I've thought about investing in a second fan for the bird, because we have the same problem here in Mobile. I shut my bike off at long lights that way I don't have to worry about it. Also, if the light is short, or if you just don't want to shut it off, you can use the water pump to your advantage. When the fan comes on, raise the RPM's up to about 2000 or so. This allows the water to flow much faster than at idle, and actually keeps the bike cooler than letting it sit at idle.

Has anybody rigged an aftermarket thermostat to their bike to turn the fans on earlier? Granted the fan would run more often, but turning it on earlier should make it easier to keep it cooler. I don't know about you guys, but once my fan comes on, it's like fighting an uphill battle. The temp still climbs until you get moving again.

I know nothing about water wetter but I do use engine ice. It comes premixed just pour it in. It is suppose to drop engine temps up to 50 degrees. My bike does seem to run cooler and I have never had a instant of coolant leaking. :)

IMO..having the fan come on sooner wouldn't help much if any. I didn't see in the post what temp the bikes is hitting in traffic, mine has hit 250f but didn't puke over. Where I live there is about a two mile run where the

speed limit is 40mph with no stops or lights. Right now when the outside temp is around 80 my XX will hit 235-240 with in the two mile stretch. I can't see me and the XX spending much time at all in heavy city traffic once the real heat sets in. Other than doing what was already posted

"raise the RPM's up to about 2000 or so" I don't think much can be done about your problem...

good luck

It's much hotter here and I don't have these issues. I suspect you could have some other problems. Could be as simple as air in the system. Also, how old is your coolant mix? Redline says Water Wetter is only good for a year.

I run 20% coolant and 4 ounces of Water Wetter per their recommendations.

I don't have any issues here either. It gets to over 100 F here during the summer and I ride in those temps regularly. I use the premixed Honda coolant and though the bike certainly heats up it stays in the safe range and never overflows. Stop and go traffic IS a bitch and sometimes I turn my bike off if Im stuck in traffic but usually you can just rev it slightly as has been mentioned and it will bring the temp down a bit.

I lived in Nevada for some time and had the same problems. With the help and an idea from a good friend "Hurricane" we rigged up a manual switch to the fan. Wired it right to the sensor lead. This way you can turn the fan on when ever you want too. Just dont forget to turn it off when on some high speed blasts!! Use a lighted switch, that way you can see if its on or not....Hope that helps. It worked for us :lol: