CBR1100XX.org Forum

Folks using synthetic oil...

Squareman357

Have any of you noticed any clutch slippage at higher speeds? I bought my bike as a leftover new '02. After I hit 4000 miles I changed over to Honda Synthetic. The other night I was out late with about 30 other bikes and we were far out on Interstate 57 at about 1 AM. As I shifted up to 6th and let the clutch out I noticed a bit of rev before the clutch fully engaged. It wasn't constant, but I heard it several times that night. This was usually at or approaching speeds over 150. I haven't heard or felt anything at more tame normal traffic speeds, only in the triple digits. Since I just came back from Myrtle Beach/Deals Gap, and I did some hard riding out there with a bunch of buddies and she didn't exhibit those symptoms out there, I was contemplating going back to regular dino for the next 2 to 3K and see what she does, but before I did, I wanted to find out if anyone had experienced similar shifting issues.

If you are talking about the HP oil from HONDA, that's a semi-synthetic not full.... When the XX came out and then the VFR 800, the Regional Service Manager from HONDA told us (I worked in the Honda dealership back then) to steer people away from the HP oil for these two models. THe cylinder walls are coated with the substance that the HP oil damages....

Sorry don't remember details.

But there was nothing said about the clutch. Also there are many people here who use full synthetic - I think Mobil 1 15/50 is the most popullar, that didn't report any problems..... My friend Tom has about 60K miles (I think !) on his '99XX with the Mobil 1 and I've never heard him complain...

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Honda makes semi-synthetic with moly and without moly.

Moly=no go,no moly=go.Sorry had to keep it short.

Both are IMHO total waste of money if you consider that Mobil 1 and Rotella 5w/40 are full synthetic and costs less.

No clutch or starter clutch problem on XX

Anyway search this forum about synthetic oils,there is enough read for a week.

BTW my bike has 59 K miles ,50K on synthetics.

I'm getting ready to put in the Mobil 1 15w-50 again, this time I'm at the 20,000 mile mark. Never a hint of clutch slippage, although the rear tire slips occasionally.....oh well, probably not oil related. :shock:

I made sure to get the non Moly version of the Honda Synth. Maybe I'll change out for Mobil 1 Redcap for this next oil change and see if that makes a difference.

Hmmmm.... Well, I put the Blue Cap 5-30 in just before the trip to Arkansas. I haven't had any problems yet, even at triple digits speeds and shifts.

Moly creates lights sulfer bonds to metal, not to any ofther matterials with any great strenght, so I'll keep you posted if I have any ill affects.

So far I actually think that it improved the shifting on the Bird, and she even ran alittle cooler. :grin:

Oh no, no complaints. I just remember your name was Ronnie thats all. How have things been for you. Still getting a lot of saddle time in? If I recall Cody was just a pit stop for you while putting in some monster mileage.

Moly is not good for the clutch and teflon, like slik 50, is also a potential problem. But I bet you were more likely to have some rear wheel slippage at that speed. You have the power turned all the way up and the air is pushing on the front of the bike real hard. At 150 you don't even want to stick your hand out - you might not be strong enough to hold it. Air pushing on the front, rear tire pushing on the street. I don't know. My rear tires sure go away a lot faster over 150 than they do at 80 or 90.

Don't want to hijack the thread, so I agree, use red cap Mobil 1.

Scot, I haven’t ridden near enough this year. It just seems like I’ve been too busy.

I plan to participate in a 1000 mile “Baby Butt” even next month to get that certificate. :roll: Now people are starting to talk about Laguna Seca and my mouth is starting to water. Hopefully things will calm down and I can start riding.