CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need New Chain

Rider99XX

I'm in the market for a new chain and sprockets and was wanting opinions on what brand you guys recomend. I have a 99XX. It came with a RK 530 from the factory. My bike has 17000+ miles on it, 90% two-up riding. After a trip to Talladega Alabama (I live just outside Jackson Ms.) last year I noticed a couple of links that were wanting to bind just a bit. Before the trip I cleaned and lubed the chain as part of my pre-trip ritual. We went to the NASCAR race and had to sit in a bit of traffic upon entering the track. The air temp was upper 80s. Bike was warm, not hot from the trip. Temp guage went up to about 3/4. After parking I did a quick check of the bike and noticed the chain lube was pretty thin looking ie. wet looking. After the race, I checked it again. It looked as if the lube had thickened up a bit.

Back at home I recleaned and lubed the chain since it got pretty dirty at the track in the unpaved parking area. Shortly after I noticed the sticking links. Could the trip there and back, a large portion of the trip was at 100+mph, started doing my chain in??

What chain do most riders in here use. I would like to change sprockets too. They don't look bad but want to change them for peace of mind. What chain lube do most use? I keep close check on chain adjustment and I use Maxxim Chain Wax.

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

Cleaning chains is generally bad for them. Unless they're caked with abrasive shit, cleaning does no good and often does harm.

At 17k with two riders, you're probably seeing typical life from a chain. I'm getting to about 20k before I change them with the same lube, but never cleaning. I usually let mine get a little worse than you do.

I've been using the DID 530 ZVM, which is also one of the OEM chains (they alternated between the RK and DID). I've been considering the RK 530GXW which is the new super-duty chain from them. Always replace the front sprocket with the chain. The rear can outlast two chains. For the front I've been using an AFAM 16 tooth and like that a lot.

I know this is covered somewhere, but I am lazy at best.

best price and fastest deliver on a RK 530GXW??

man I have let the bird go. need to replace all brake fluids, change the fork fluid (might send them off to RPS for valving), replace the sparks, clean the air filter, new brake pads...

and me hand is still weak, so I am SOL. :sad:

Later, Way

My '00 came with an RK chain too. I replaced it at about 20K miles with a Honda chain kit. The kit came with both sprockets and a DID ZVS chain. All OEM parts of course.

The ZVS was the OEM DID chain, at least in '00. The ZVS or ZVM will work just fine. No matter what you may hear, the ZVS is not identical to the ZVM. Don't ask me how I know. :oops:

I went aftermarket on the sprockets. Vortex

From Kneedraggers.com

rear 45T $52

Front 17T $26

DID 530VM $124 for $210 w/shipping

FWIW: @ 29K: The front oem looking sprocket had little to NO wear, The rear probably was still good. Chain?.... a bind and stretched way past the adjustment settings. Thinking original but cann't confirm.

Looks like most in here like the DID 530 ZVM. I plan on keeping the stock gearing. Quality wise, is DID comparable to the RK chain?

XXTi wrote

"the ZVS is not identical to the ZVM. Don't ask me how I know. "

SO, what IS the difference between the ZVS and the ZVM????

Crap, you said don't ask, Sorry. :razz:

AHHH, I remember reading that. Thanks for the remind. Now I need to sweet talk the little Mrs.:babe: a.k.a. Keeper Of The Finances to get a new chain kit expedited to our humble abode.

The little Mrs. :babe: Ok'd the new chain so I called my friends at the local motorcycle accessory shop and told him what I could order the DID chain kit for. He told me that he could match that with no problem plus could do the install for me. I don't have the chain tools to install it.

If any of you are ever in Jackson Mississippi and need a part or a flat fixed or new tire, go by The Kickstand on hwy 80 in Jackson. The are great people and dyed in the wool bike riders. The Veterns were on their Ride To The Wall and stopped at the Harley dealership in Jackson for the day. One of them had a tire going bad. Well the Harley dealership DIDN"T have a tire to fit his hog so they sent him to the Kickstand and they replaced his tire and got him back on the road in time to leave with the group.

Anyone headed through Jackson Ms. in the near future, let me know and I'll give directions.

Did I get the wrong (rivet) Master Link?

I closely looked at the chain links I had dropped from the 120 link chain I bought. They say 50 VM on the side of the links.

So I check the (from memory) DID ZVM 530 chain master link I just ordered and now is in my hands and the link kit says 50 ZVM (ZJ) on it.........

but they don't seem to "go together", on the 50 VM chain I have , like they should.

So I'm looking at the Invoice for the chain, It says:

DID VM series Premium X-Ring - 530 VM.

So am I looking for a different MAster link again?

How did I screw the pooch here?

Will the 50VM chain be right for the 'bird?

Hookers?

-Suf Daddy

I'm bummed I didn't pick up on this before now.

With all the crossreferencing on the box and the SPECIFIC instructions to Kneedraggers.com about my application I ordered a new ZVM from White Buffalo Racing. I'll sell the cut down 110 and riveted link, (530 VM - up to "1000cc's") on Ebay.com

Now I have 3 ZVM (ZJ) master links and a ZVM cahin on the way.

-Suf Daddy

Due to my rather idealistic trust in a local dealer parts counter when replacing the OEM chain in mid-2001, at 16K miles, I ended up with not what I’d expected:

1) VM chain, not the ZVM

2) Non-riveted master link

3) One tooth smaller rear sprocket

4) Aluminum rear sprocket

I trusted the dealer, and this entire order was a moderate screw-up. The jackass just didn’t pay attention to what he was doing, and I foolishly did not check his work. They mean well but constantly miss the details. They still get some of my business, due to their positive attitude, but I check the details every time.

Anyway, I went with the above items regardless, replacing the master link with a riveted some weeks after installation. I was pressed for time and just didn’t want the couple weeks downtime waiting for more parts.

Today, at 40K miles, the chain is finally just about toasted. I have a Scottoiler. The Scottoiler kept that chain quite happy through hundreds of nasty Seattle rainy rides, at the expense of oil and grit everywhere. Such is life, and Scottoilers are another story.

Point is, like another guy in this thread mentioned, “yes, the lighter duty parts will work. No, they are not ideal.”

I do not ride like a jackass, but neither like a little girl. The aluminum rear sprocket is definitely worn and asymmetrical, though not alarmingly so. I do not know the condition of the primary sprocket. The one-tooth-smaller rear actually contributes to higher mileage and theoretically higher speed, though at a small loss of perceived power. Whatever, I really haven’t noticed.

I shall replace all with the right parts very shortly: a ZVM or equal and steel rear sprocket. I’m expecting at least another 24K miles out of the heavier-duty kit.

-=DRB=-