CBR1100XX.org Forum

Heat shield???

Phalanx7.62

Is there a heat shield that goes between the header and the right lower fairing? What about foil sheeting on the plastic?

Before I painted my bike I noticed that the right lower fairing got hot enough to affect the paint. I do not want this to happen again.

Thanks..

That's a good question. I don't know what you could do to the panel itself to dissipate heat considering the proximity to the header. Usually, materials that will adhere to the plastic will either burn up because they can't handle the heat, or end up transferring the heat to the outer panel anyway.

Your best bet would be to wrap the header like they do on drag cars. If you're really swimming in money, you could have the header coated with Jet Hot which will keep it cooler. My vote is for the wrap. Most auto parts stores have it, but if not you can pick it up at summitracing.com.

You could line the plastic with Plumbers heat shield used to prevent burns to anything close to the torch. It has the same look and feel as fiberglass mat and is about 12- 15 dollars for a 10x12 sheet.