CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dent repair

blackhawkxx

Not tried it, but I hear it works....sometimes.

Heat softens the metal.  Cold makes it contract and hopefully pops the panel back into its original shape.

Cheaper than the alternative ways of fixing a small dent if it works.

not exactly,

used Dry Ice method.  Fair results,  but i had let the dent sit for a couple of months first.

The problem is,  my dents are typically much, Much, bigger.

They need the Football repair method.

Edited by redxxrdr
link

I bought a hail damaged car and fixed all the dents with a pencil torch.  There were a few that didn't come out perfect, but hard to see if you weren't looking for them.  I just swirled the flame around each dent watching it magically disappear.  Spent a couple hours on the dents, detailed, and sold the same day for triple the money.

I like the ball, pretty cool.  Of course it's rare to have a body panel with something that substantial behind it, but a useful option to keep in mind.

Kurt,

The guy doing the football on his 59 has lot's of great ideas on his build thread.

The only thing straight on my 65 IS the nose.

I have used the football on my son's neon front fender.

New driver, new to him POS car.   Testing his now polished and aligned headlamps.

Didn't get 1/2 mile from the house when a doe stepped into the side of the car at night.  Only 45 miles per hour, but the damage was done.

I removed the inner fender liner, propped some 2x6 behind the wheel and let the football do it's thing.

Wasn't perfect, but a pretty good 20 footer.