CBR1100XX.org Forum

Decks

N1K

I'm putting a deck on my house this spring...

I originally was going to go with a synthetic decking material, but looking at the cost, I decided to go with wood... (I like the look of wood better anyway)

So now I'm trying to figure out how to make deck plans etc...

Can you just go to home depot and have them make a custom deck plan? Like they do for kitchens etc?

Anyone got any ideas?

Get a deck and carpentry book and design your own. Unless you are trying to get real fancy, decks are pretty simple. Just basic carpentry and framing. The deck book will give you ideas, the carpentry book should give you the details.

MikeG

• 3 weeks later...
I'm putting a deck on my house this spring...

I originally was going to go with a synthetic decking material, but looking at the cost, I decided to go with wood...  (I like the look of wood better anyway)

So now I'm trying to figure out how to make deck plans etc...

Can you just go to home depot and have them make a custom deck plan?  Like they do for kitchens etc?

Anyone got any ideas?

since you're going with wood, after you have the stringers up and just before you put the decking on, cut strips of tar paper/slaters felt 5 or 6" wide and lay it on top of the stringers and staple it to the side. now when the snow and water collects in the spaces between the decking, it won't rot out the stringers. easy to do and the deck will last way way longer. obviously use pressure treated. btw they recommend a respirator when you cut PT because it's considered a carcinogenic