CBR1100XX.org Forum

New Shop underway-updated pics

BDAZ XX

Well I got the 24x36x9 shop started last Friday. Framed, plumb and lined on Friday and rolled the trusses Tuesday. I had 25 ft of trusses done by myself when help finally got there. I cant wait to get it finished and the old shop torn out. I am running air through the walls with plugs comming out right above the benchs, a shit load of floresent lights in the ceiling and above a 32' work bench. Some 18"x48" windows 7ft high on the south facing wall and 2 3'x6' windows facing the back yard and a nice big 18ft rollup garage door.

Pics to follow.

YIPPPPPEEEEEE!!!!!! :cheers:

Lucky bastard. I shoulda just gutted the garage and started over when I moved into this place.

Shoulda..... coulda...... woulda, just who are you trying to fool? I saw what you did to your bathroom, so don't give me that shoulda line.

Just do it!

Yeah, but now there's too much crap in the way. I cleared out half of it, built a cabinet to store more of it, time ran out, and then it turned into a clusterfuck again.

Randy--let me offer this advice. Don't let ANYTHING pile up in there at all. Nothing. Don't come home tired from Lowe's and drop a bag on the workbench. Next thing you know you can't walk into the place.

Yeah, but now there's too much crap in the way. I cleared out half of it, built a cabinet to store more of it, time ran out, and then it turned into a clusterfuck again.

Randy--let me offer this advice. Don't let ANYTHING pile up in there at all. Nothing. Don't come home tired from Lowe's and drop a bag on the workbench. Next thing you know you can't walk into the place.

OH-Man do I know how that happens, I can totally relate. Next thing you know it takes all day to clear out the garage, sweep the floor, and then put it all back :shock:

My dream is to build a shop/garage in the back yard.

Currently Bdaz has got me alittle jealous too.

That's better.... thank you! Looking good so far.

I find it funny how building codes very from state to state, concidering you have no corner braceing, here it's a must!

Just a little advise.... you knew we were going to give ya that..... recepticles, recepticles, recepticles, recepticles.

Until then.... :grin:

recepticles, recepticles, recepticles, recepticles.

Yes! And at least a few 20a circuits for compressor, table saw, etc. Do double or triple-gang boxes, the cost differential is minimal and having 4-6 outlets per box is SO nice. Retrofitting is such a pain--said from recent experience...

I'll be running power outlets every 3-4ft on the workbench top with a couple of 220 outlets for welders and other high power equipment. Air is going to be piped in along the center of the ceiling, in the rafters and down the walls with about 10 connector plugs popping out in various locations in the shop. I'll have a sink with hot and cold water, a small refer for beer, TV and laptop in there too.

The foundation is slab, Tim. 2 pours in freezing cold ass weather, really was a task, but we got it down.

I plan on finishing the inside with sheetrock. Painting the first 3ft up Red in color with a checker board 2ft wide above that and white top and ceiling. The floor will be a black and white checker in the back 1/2 of the shop. The front half will be dedicated to wood working with the back being mechanical/bike shit. :cool:

I wish I had more time off to get it finished quicker but thats the way it goes. Growing up with a Dad thats a general contractor really helps. He does everything from start to finish and has tought me alot about what needs to be done. I am going to build my dream shop or at least as close to it as I can afford without going to crazy. :wink:

Looks and sounds great. Few years back I built a shed, 12'x16' on a slab. Now I really need a shop. Problem is my shed is built on the ideal site for my shed, undecided on whether to tear it down........ :cry:

When I saw you posted again Randy, I clicked on the thread thinking "mo fo better have posted more pictures!"

Lookin GOOD!!! Very cool. can't wait to see more pics.

nik

• 4 weeks later...

Randy,

Did you pull a permit for your shop? I keep coming back to your pics, and dreaming of doing my own dream shop. If you ask my co-workers they are tired of hearing me talk about it. Anyway, the qoutes/bids I have been getting for a 24X24 are ludicrous, any thoughts on how much $$ you will have into the totally finished structure?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late answers Tim, My home computer absolutley SUX! Yes I did get a permit and it runs about $500 for the shop. The total cost of the shop I am guesstimating will run $6-$8K with all the frills. Honda Red and White walls, checkered board floor, HD benchs and cabinets, all the trimmings! :grin:

Oh, sorry to be such a pest, but is that a 16' foot door?

[/qoute]

Why yes it is Tim.............(Damn I've been wanting to say that for a while.):wink: :grin: with 4ft to each side of the door. 24 ft wide X 36 ft long. 1200 sq. feet roof.

Well heres some updated pics of the shop.

My B-Day present from Tammy. Just what every guy needs!

20043173115286133235548.jpg

Routed air lines in the walls and have 5 air connectors above the work benchs and about 15 electrical plugs throughout the shop.

20043172388389985662742.jpg

Inside shot, I still have to put exterior sheeting on next week and sheetrock the inside. One of my babies is already checking it out! :wink:

20043178997779069475112.jpg

Outside shot with underlayment (paper) on. The T11 siding will go over this come the beginning of the week.

20043176324330087543570.jpg

The sheeting on the roof was kinda nice to do with all the almond trees blooming around my property, it smelled like a flower shop working up there. I shingle it in the morning.

20043171543298298486475.jpg

Very nice Randy! That's it, I'm coming to visit your poor ass this spring!! And again, Tammy has out-done herself with that compressor!! *drooling* :grin:

Thanks for the update!! Later, Sean.