CBR1100XX.org Forum

Polishing Auto headlight lenses

RXX

It's time to de-yellow or clarify the lenses on my Neon. There are several products out there to accomplish this. Any I should steer clear of? Or is it a PITA enough to pay a detailer/shop to do it?

Original Colgate tooth paste and some free time is all you need. No really...it works. :icon_biggrin: Use Honda polish to keep it looking good longer after you get them clean.

I polished lenses on a Mazda about 2 years ago.

I can't remember the name of the product but they gave you soft foam pads to but in a hand drill. You sprayed the lenses with soapy water put their powder (probably an abrasive) on the pad and polished away. It worked very well. Lenses looked like new.

3M makes a headlight kit for under $20. Most auto parts stores should have it.

Works very well (used it on my pickup a month or so ago). My 2 cents is that you take your time on the lowest grit and make sure you do a good job. The more time on the lowest grit yields better results, and stop frequently to brush away the "dust" that generates...both on the lens and the sanding disc. It improves the life of it. Do it right and by time you get to the polishing stage it'll look like new.

All you need is a power drill and a spray bottle for water.

Original Colgate tooth paste and some free time is all you need. No really...it works. :icon_biggrin: Use Honda polish to keep it looking good longer after you get them clean.

Please expand on the actual process....

I may do that.

I've cleaned my 1994 Mazda 323's headlight with toothpaste.. wax on, wax off.. rinse with water, it's that easy. Not back to original clear lense, but good amount clearer..

All of the above statements are accurate.

Headlights just like Paint have a clear coat to protect the plastic underneath and maintain the clarity.

Here at work we supply the Car Wash /Detailing Industry with Headlight Restoration kits. Our kits are all sized for commercial use (15+ cars).

Basically all you do is remove the old ozidized clear coat and polish up the plastic lens and they look like new again.

The better products (more expensive) are set apart by the product (new clear coat) that is applied last to maintain the clear finish. Without the final protective coating you will be polishing your headlights monthly as long as you own the car.

I good final coat product will be "self leveling" and dry crystal clear.

As Al said be sure to mask off the surronding paint and apply the final coat excessively and do Not touch it up once it has been applied. Allow the product to self level otherwise you will get permanent brush strokes in the finish and you will have to start over to get them out.

When done correctly your will spend about an hour to do a pair of headlights and they will look like new when done.

I have done about 8 sets of headlights my self.

Worth the time money and effort not to mention the increase in safety when better night vision with bright headlights

I may do that.

I've cleaned my 1994 Mazda 323's headlight with toothpaste.. wax on, wax off.. rinse with water, it's that easy. Not back to original clear lense, but good amount clearer..

Ditto...cheap and relatively easy. Toothpaste is about as fine an abrasive as you can commonly find. For the really yellow and nasty lenses, a quicker alternative is to just use a damp rag sprinkled with baking soda, and then a final polish with the toothpaste and coated with Honda polish.

I may do that.

Man, Dave you really set yourself up for a cheap shot there!

BUT........ get real, you know that since there is an expensive, quality fix for the problem you're not really gonna go the cheap route, are you? What are you, a cheap Scot or something?

post-1606-1256845605.jpg

I may do that.

Man, Dave you really set yourself up for a cheap shot there!

BUT........ get real, you know that since there is an expensive, quality fix for the problem you're not really gonna go the cheap route, are you? What are you, a cheap Scot or something?

99.5% of things I am a super cheap skate..... .5% I am balls out.

Simple.

I bought a 5 pad product that they sell at Napa. I'm giving it a try this weekend to remove some fading on the lights of my pathfinder and my eclipse.

I also would like to try it on the scuffing that is on my helmet shield. That would be a huge win.

fuck it just buy new head light assemblies.

$50-$75 each and worth it too see at night.

3 or 4 8mm bolts and remove bulbs (I love my SilverStars)

put bulbs in new housing and install 3 or 4 8mm bolts.

I did my wifes with the drill pad and polishing compounds and it did a half ass job.

My niece is new to driving and just got her first car a month or so ago. 02' Focus with shitty lens. I gave her some terry cloth towels and the polishing compound and let her do it by hand. :icon_twisted: I was busy redoing the wiring fuckups the previous owner did to the radio and under the hood. :icon_rolleyes: Loved the 12v power wires left exposed laying around waiting to ground out.

If they were that cheap I would replace them too. But the wifeys Nissan headlight assemblies are $189 a piece (online) I may try the toothpaste thing as an option.

If they were that cheap I would replace them too. But the wifeys Nissan headlight assemblies are $189 a piece (online) I may try the toothpaste thing as an option.

check out some places on ebay. I don't even have an ebay account, but after my wife had a little mishap at the grocery store with the cart smashing a tail light on her van, was told to look on ebay.. Dealership wanted $120 for a tail light, ebay store had it for $35 shipped to me. I couldn't believe it, but it was a perfect brand new oem light housing.

I'm in to saving a buck like everyone else, but Colgate? Just spend the $20 for the kit. If you do it right, you'll easily be able to use it on 2-3 vehicles or save it for when it needs to be done again.