CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chugging

gharknes

Anyone ever notice this, I have a feeling I may have a plug loose or something, or is it normal

Ya mean grabbing a handful at 1500 rpm in 6th? Yeah they'll do that. Lugging is just as bad as overrevving.

No not what I meant, normal driving in say 2nd gear in trafic just at the point of neutral throttle, the idle is a bit rough like this also

I'll get some uneveness in both idle and low speed throttle response right after a hot start. One quick squirt of the throttle seems to cure it. I attribute it to heat soak of the air temperature sensor causing the idle mixture to lean out a bit. A little air flow seems to correct it.

I seldom operate my bike below 2500 RPM and most times I'm between 3500 and 4K. I have to pay a little attention to this as the bike is so smooth, torquey and willing at even sub-2000 RPM levels, it is easy to just troll along. Not reallly very good for the motor. I think that lever in front of the left footpeg is there to correct that.

If you mean a lite surging at near no throttle, it's normal. At least with both my XX's. It should be very mild though. If more than that, maybe you need a carb/throttle body sync done. Maybe plugs too???

-Obby

If you mean a lite surging at near no throttle, it's normal. At least with both my XX's. It should be very mild though. If more than that, maybe you need a carb/throttle body sync done. Maybe plugs too???

-Obby

yes this is my problem, slow speed at say 1500 rev neutral throttle, i think perhaps a mixture of rough idle (plugs) and a chain needing adjusted.

going to check everything today

Yep, my 04 does it too. And a mates as well now that I think of it. I think it's an FI thing. Maybe the 02 sensor reading is being used to lean the mixture out at those throttle settings. Just guessing here though.

Yep, my 04 does it too. And a mates as well now that I think of it. I think it's an FI thing. Maybe the 02 sensor reading is being used to lean the mixture out at those throttle settings. Just guessing here though.

what i noticed is if you hold the revs at 1500 - 2000 i get like a rythim at though a couple of cylynders where weak, but it still goes like f--- when i twist it as i found out today to my complete pleasure after having pottered about town for the last few weeks i took her for a run.....hmmmmmmmm she seemed to like it

• 1 month later...

well my chugging at slow speeds is getting worse, I changed the plugs and it seemed to help for a short time, it is also a little rough at idle so I think I may have something wrong, fuel consumption seems to have gone up as well, will try carb cleaner next then I don't know, fuel pressure regulator may need checked also

It is getting very annoying, so bad that if I'm going really slow I pull the clutch in to disengage the drive, otherwise it get really rough

any other ideas ?

It is pretty common on EFI bikes, especially those equipped with closed loop systems using an O2 sensor for feedback. The sensor is a bit slow to react and, at least for the typical narrow band sensors used to meet emissions controls on bikes using catalytic converters is really no more than a switch that oscillates back and forth between saying "too lean"/"too rich" trying to keep an ideal mixture to maintain the converter in a "lit" condition.

Problems occur when the O2 sensor starts to age and loses response causing longer periods of correction by the ECU. Sometimes the system gets into a feedback loop that causes prolonged periods of too rich or too lean running with larger swings than would be normal. The motor then can seem to hunt for an RPM kinda going between bogging and surging. In fact, at least in BMW land, it is called surging.

Some other factors can influence this as well such as valve clearance, throttle body synchronization and ignition timing variations (knock sensor).

I have not really noticed this so much on my Blackbird but have seen it, in a very minor way, on a couple of my BMW twins. It is pretty easy to ride around it just by dropping a gear and keeping the revs about about 3K RPM or so.

It is pretty common on EFI bikes, especially those equipped with closed loop systems using an O2 sensor for feedback. The sensor is a bit slow to react and, at least for the typical narrow band sensors used to meet emissions controls on bikes using catalytic converters is really no more than a switch that oscillates back and forth between saying "too lean"/"too rich" trying to keep an ideal mixture to maintain the converter in a "lit" condition.

Problems occur when the O2 sensor starts to age and loses response causing longer periods of correction by the ECU. Sometimes the system gets into a feedback loop that causes prolonged periods of too rich or too lean running with larger swings than would be normal. The motor then can seem to hunt for an RPM kinda going between bogging and surging. In fact, at least in BMW land, it is called surging.

Some other factors can influence this as well such as valve clearance, throttle body synchronization and ignition timing variations (knock sensor).

I have not really noticed this so much on my Blackbird but have seen it, in a very minor way, on a couple of my BMW twins. It is pretty easy to ride around it just by dropping a gear and keeping the revs about about 3K RPM or so.

yeh it does only happen at around 1500, but not much you can do when in trafic at 10mph or slowing down to traffic lights or such like, I end up just pulling the clutch in and free wheel........when stationary it is very easy to notice if i hold the revs at about 1500.........it sounds like only 2 pots are firing.

1500? 1500?

I am never at that RPM unless pulling away from a stop. You are lugging the motor there and the chugging you feel is the motor protesting such abuse.

I wouldn't feel comfortable running the motor at that speed in any gear.

1500? 1500?

I am never at that RPM unless pulling away from a stop. You are lugging the motor there and the chugging you feel is the motor protesting such abuse.

I wouldn't feel comfortable running the motor at that speed in any gear.

I do all the time, you just can't gas it really hard, and it doesn't chug...

Mike

well my chugging at slow speeds is getting worse, I changed the plugs and it seemed to help for a short time, it is also a little rough at idle so I think I may have something wrong, fuel consumption seems to have gone up as well, will try carb cleaner next then I don't know, fuel pressure regulator may need checked also

It is getting very annoying, so bad that if I'm going really slow I pull the clutch in to disengage the drive, otherwise it get really rough

any other ideas ?

Don't ignore old crow here, my bike the exact same thing. Got progessively worse over time, chugged more at low idle. Started up well when cold when the wax unit would rev high, but once it turned down the idle, it would start running rough. Taking off from stop had slight chugging, which got worse over time to major chugging until I cleared about 4k.

Pull the vacuum hoses and look for any liquid. Cracked diaphragm in fuel pressure regulator let fuel into cylinders, made the spark plugs very dirty and wet. I changed mine before I figured it out and it helped, for a while. Then they just got wet/dirty again.

Took me forever to find out what it was, someone suggested it and I put it off on the end of the list. Finally checked and sure the freak enough... $50 for new pressure reg.

Good luck!