CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pilot Road Problem

Andrew 03XX

I just replaced the worn BT020's on my 03XX with Michelin Pilot Roads. The general feel is excellent, but above 140 kph (87 mph), there is a vibration in the front wheel that was not present before the tire change. At 150 - 155 kmph, it feels like I am riding on a knobby tire. There is no wagging or weave or slap, and the ride is very smooth below 135 kph. I returned to the shop (a very trustworthy mechanic) who rebalanced the tire, but this did not help. The shop is ordering in a new tire.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Many thanks,

Andrew

03XX 28.5K km

Not here.

I had the PR's mounted about 400 miles ago , and the bike is as smooth as ever regardless of speed. I agree with the general feel being excellent.

Sounds as if you may need a rebalance. Odd order harmonic going on there.

I run a Pilot Sport front, Pilot Road rear, no problem but I did have a front 208 that was smooth till I went over a 100 mph then it vibrated, the balance was ok, just a bad tire or it needed to be speed balanced.

About to finish up my second set of 'roads... Not a problem with them... You may have gotten one that was slightly out of round or the shop that mounted them MAY have popped a chord when mounting it, if the machine got fucked up while they were doing it, or if they didn't push the one side down into the middle of the wheel while getting the last of the tire on the wheel...

Anyway, not somethign that's seen all the time... I've never heard of it...

Mike

Interesting!

When my 2nd set was mounted, I wasn't entirely comfortable with the ride of the front tire either and had the shop rebalance it. There is still a different feel than my first set but since I have 4,000 miles on the tire, I doubt that Michelin will replace it. However, I do believe that the tire is not exactly right.

I find this interesting as well. Since my wreck I have had a vibration that is most noticable around the speed you indicated. I have tried to isolate it and have pretty much determined that it is the rear tire. I guess I should mention that I put Pilot Roads on after the crash. I am about to replace the rear tire with a new Pilot Road because its about worn out. I hope its the tire and not something else that got tweaked when I went surfing.

• 2 weeks later...