CBR1100XX.org Forum

LOST MY KEYS!!! GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Master Of Pain

Well you have a couple options.

First, did you write the key-code down in the provided space in the owner's manual? Me neither.

Next you can yank your ignition off and take it to a locksmith. Chances are he can make you a key from it.

First, did you write the key-code down in the provided space in the owner's manual?  Me neither.

Mental note to self. Do this today. Wait a minute. :? I keep the manual under the seat. I need the key to get to the manual; I need the manual to get a key.

First, did you write the key-code down in the provided space in the owner's manual?  Me neither.

Mental note to self. Do this today. Wait a minute. :? I keep the manual under the seat. I need the key to get to the manual; I need the manual to get a key.

Write this number down in the manual.. As I keep mine at home..

Actually if you need to get under your seat and you don't have keys, just need a riding buddy.. I accidently locked my key under the seat about 2 weeks of getting my bird. Borrowed my buddies tools in his bird and took off the rear tail section and can do alot of amazing stuff with plastics removed..

As a person who recently lost the only keys to to my used 04 r1 I would say the most effective,fastest way is to take bike or ignition and to locksmith.I went to 3 dealers,heard 3 different,conflicting stories what to do,finally took my ignition lock (steering was not locked when I lost the key) and 15 bucks and 15 minutes later had a working key.

You could take only the fuel cap to the shop,but,at least in case of Yamaha,it does not use the whole key,only 5of 7 cuts,so it still would not work on ignition.

Guest rockmeupto125

FWIW, removing the fuel cap without the key requires the use of a drill and/or a strong dremel tool. And you won't have a lock cylinder to make a key with when you are done, either.

I am a locksmith of 13 years. Each of the three locks on honda cycles has the code number stamped on it. If you can take the bike or the gas tank to a locksmith, they can pick the gas cap to reveal the code on the bottom. The code is the last three digits of a long number. example: 12j54ty33a45 The code would be a45. This should cost between 15 and 30 dollars. From the code they can make a key.

Brian Bongfeldt

Guest Jetpilot5

If you know which dealer sold the bike new, give them a call. The dealership I purchased from keeps a record of the key codes to all the bikes they've sold.

If you can take the bike or the gas tank to a locksmith, they can pick the gas cap to reveal the code on the bottom.

Need a key to lift the seat so you can unbolt the gas tank. :poke:

Need a key to lift the seat so you can unbolt the gas tank.
Actually if you need to get under your seat and you don't have keys, just need a riding buddy.. I accidently locked my key under the seat about 2 weeks of getting my bird. Borrowed my buddies tools in his bird and took off the rear tail section and can do alot of amazing stuff with plastics removed..

I need the key to get to the manual; I need the manual to get a key.

Did the chicken made the egg or the egg made the chicken?......

Should I remind you that on newer bikes with HISS system, the problem is twofold.

There is the mechanical part (ie find a locksmith to make a copycat), and the electronic part (the transponder inside the key which communicates with the ECU and unlocks the immobiliser function).

In case you have the HISS system you have to replace the ECU as well.

Normally it should be possible to order new keys from your dealer with your VIN number but I am not shure if Honda follows this policy.

As a person who recently lost the only keys to to my used 04 r1 I would say the most effective,fastest way is to take bike or ignition and to locksmith.I went to 3 dealers,heard 3 different,conflicting stories what to do,finally took my ignition lock (steering was not locked when I lost the key) and 15 bucks and 15 minutes later had a working key.

You could  take only the fuel cap to the shop,but,at least in case of Yamaha,it does not use the whole key,only 5of 7 cuts,so it still would not work on ignition.

+1. That is the best, cheapest way. Those locksmiths are Gods. [-o<

Umm... for the gas cap, 3 allen bolts, the right 3 allen bolts, and it's off.

Pete, won't the catch thingys that hold the lid closed still be holding the lid closed once the allen bolts are removed? The cap will only spin at that point,right?

won't the catch thingys that hold the lid closed still be holding the lid closed once the allen bolts are removed?

Yes. You cannot remove the gascap assembly without either the key, or some serious cutting tools, as Joe said.

screwdriver and force it,,,,looks ok,,,and after you take everything apart in the key reciever and remove the pieces and put it back together without the pins,,,,it will work with any key,,,,, those little pins are weaker than I thought,,,,,,not something that you want to do lest what you are after is the code on the gas cap and I am not even sure it is there.

What I think I am trying to say is this. Force the key on the gas cap to get the code to have the keys made and then have the pins replaced to match the keys.

On a more likely note I have taken to a good locksmith and within minutes he made a key from looking at the tumblers. That was magic.

Dont know why they can't come to your house.

And then I did a memory course that said your mind remembers everything it is access to that memory that is the problem. In other words start with the last time you say your keys and go over everything from that point forward. A friend of mine found his keys he left in the tool box bed of his truck in the middle of the street after backtracking from the last place he did a job where he knew he had them.

Cost him four hours and 60 miles of driving at 10 miles per hour.

Not that you haven't done this but your memory of the keys is like an onion with the keys in the middle,,,peal away the layers.

Or do you know where you lost them?

Good luck, and let us know how it comes out.

won't the catch thingys that hold the lid closed still be holding the lid closed once the allen bolts are removed?

Yes. You cannot remove the gascap assembly without either the key, or some serious cutting tools, as Joe said.

Yep, brain fart on my part. :oops: