CBR1100XX.org Forum

Let me show you my new friend......

Guest rockmeupto125

Guest rockmeupto125

Seeing as how you can't get anyone to do work in this town unless you have a special certificate, I was forced to get a new friend. His name is Bobby.

walk2.jpg

Bobby Backhoe, that is. Fortunately he's schizophrenic....and occasionally surfaces as........

walk1.jpg

Larry Loader.

He's a drinker.......but only used about three gallons of mechanical hooch while helping me do this....

walk3.jpg

Its raining today, so I won't be able to pour until after Thanksgiving. Gonna snow over the weekend. :sad:

The cut across the driveway is about 14 inches deep, with sharp edges on the driveway and already existing apron. And of course, when I tried to get Bobby out to the street, his frame got hung up. It was amusing trying to spiderwalk him out of the hole using the bucket and hoe as legs.... :twisted:

Guest rockmeupto125

Umm......yeah. Can't seem to find anyone local willing to do it for pay. Effing contractors come, measure, give a quote, get the okay, and never show up. I've delayed this for months.....finally gave up and realized I'd have to do it myself if it was going to get done.....like most anything.

I don't understand, you have to put your OWN sidewalks in? The city doesn't put the sidewalk in? We have to keep ours reasonably free of ice and snow, but we don't have to build the fucking things.

Guest rockmeupto125

Yep......we put in our own sidewalks. To the borough's specifications, of course. And if we don't put them in after the fines, they'll put the sidewalks in themselves, and sue for payment. You can imagine that its pretty pricey to go that route. I'll have about $1000 into it by the time I'm finished.

Hey .... Bobbie is kinda cute.

It almost looks to small to lift itself up.

Order your Mud at a 4 slump and don't Rod it hard.... you should be just fine.

One question... what do you have to compact that 10" back in with?

I hope you have access to one of these...

b_TampersJumpingJacksGas-BelleGroupRT66V

-OR- you could just tire roll it with a truck over and over until it doesn't move.

Guest rockmeupto125

As I'll be doing it myself, I've no time for fancies. I'll tamp the stone in with a rake so I have an inch or so of mud. I'll board it once, bullfloat it once, and lightly mag it. After that, a light brush finish and I'm done. There's 85 feet, so that's plenty of work for the time I'll have.

As far as tamping, there's a pretty large lady that lives next door. I figured I'd get some M&M's and donuts. After I get her to one end with the M&M's, I'll put a donut at the other side, then repeat. $20 and 4 hours later, it should be all done.

I can't get over you have to put in your own sidewalk. Holy cow. So doesn't that mean that the quality and pattern and elevation and everything is going to change from property to property? What do you pay municiple taxes for if you have to do this stuff yourself? Don't tell me you have to do your own sewers and gas runs? :]

I just can't beleive you have to do it by YOURSELF!

If I lived within 200 miles of you I'ld be there!

And you would have thought that at least one of these no good for nothin S.O.B.'s on this board would have at least offerd to help, considering the large number of obvious slackers that live in the North East corner.

JeezzAss!

The Low life's! Boy the Board has really gone down hill lately!

:razz:

So what happens if someone trips over and edging stone or something on your sidewalk that you made and breaks their arm, who they gonna sue???? you???? just curious, never heard of that, in the uk it's the local council that does this and they are the ones that get sued.

Iain

Hey .... Bobbie is kinda cute.

It almost looks to small to lift itself up.

Order your Mud at a 4 slump and don't Rod it hard.... you should be just fine.

One question... what do you have to compact that 10" back in with?

I hope you have access to one of these...

b_TampersJumpingJacksGas-BelleGroupRT66V

-OR- you could just tire roll it with a truck over and over until it doesn't move.

Why the hell would you want it that dry? A 4" slump would be a 2 or 3 by the time it got there. I would just get 3000 W/ air and have the truck add water untill it flows ok, If it's too wet it will dry.If it is going to be cold I would have them a calcium so it will set up faster and you can broom it quicker. I would do it in the AM and cover it w/ plastic if it is going to be below 35 overnight.

Well... a 4 slump is what I order almost al of my Mud at...

But I only go for morning first or second run loads. If I can't get it at 7 in the morning I don't pour. I have had too many Nose to Nose .... discussions with plant managers over the years, and have learned the best prevetion method is just to order it early. :wink:

I have poured Mud at 3 in the afternoon on more than one ocasion and had it hit the ground at about a 2..... which means you can walk on it in about 1.5 hours and not leave a mark. :shock: That SUCKS!

And you have to be really carefull adding water.... if you add to much the Oxygene levels in your mix drop rapidly and them you end up with a brittle concrete. The top will spider crack about ever inch, and then come apart in about 5 years.

Don't get me wrong, I often end up haveing the driver add 10 just before the pour.

Calcium would be great... if He had an ARMY to help him, finishing 85 feet of concrete by yourself....is alot of work unless you do it all the time. I only use Calcium when I'm pouring steps or a porch, and need to stip the forms scrub the face.

Guessing that he is going to pour this on about a 50 degree day....

He should have about 30-40 minutes inbetween each step.

PS. Joe, keep that soil dry until you can get it poured, you don't want it getting wet and then freezing on you.... then you'ld be screwed big time.

I really hope you got some help Joe.

Guest rockmeupto125

I'll be pouring next week, hopefully. I expect it to be mid-30's, and to have 1 1/2 to 2 hours to work it before I do more damage than good by messing with it.

If somebody trips on it, they sue me. That's what homeowner's insurance covers.

You're correct, Mikey. There's no uniformity beyond the width. Individual properties are not level with each other, nor are the finish surfaces of the sidewalks. They are all supposedly to a standard code; 4 inches of pour and 4 inches of base for sidewalk, 6 inches of each for driveway crossings and aprons....48 inches wide. Sections of 8 foot with crosscuts every 4 feet.

Guest rockmeupto125

Okay.......poured yesterday from 2:30 to 3:30 and floated it out one last time about 3:45. Brushed it at 7:30 and threw the plastic on around 9 when it started to sprinkle. Heavy rains this morning starting around 4AM, and possible snow for this afternoon and tomorrow. What's done is done, and we'll see what happens when the wrapping comes off this weekend. Thanks for everybody's help.....Bullroarer helped immensely. But I still feel as though he beat me with the float while I slept last night.

Did you get anything in between the plastic and the concrete?

Like alittle straw or some thing?

That little air gap is what's going to be critical tonight. The second night is always more important than the first, because the cureing has slowed down and it's not generating alot of heat anymore. So the second night is when it usually freezes on you.

Glad to here it's done and everthing went well. :grin:

Guest rockmeupto125

Boy, I tried, Mikey. I had planned to put a 2 foot high XX right in the driveway. Couldn't do a damn thing with it. Anything I did just pulled up the rocks.....I think it was too stiff by the time I attempted it. By that time I was so cold and tired that I didn't care if Hitler's footprints were in it.....I was done.

Day five......nothing seemed to happen when I drove over it. Forms came off, started cleaning up. Still have to haul out what was dug out, but I don't care if that doesn't happen until spring.

Waiting for the truck.......

presw.jpg

And the aftermath.........

sw1.jpg

sw2.jpg

sw3.jpg