CBR1100XX.org Forum

Motorized drill press table mod.

superhawk996

I was gonna send this to Carlos because he was talking about doing it, then figured I'd share it in case someone else is interested.

\

A different video happened to drop in my face, but his was pretty complex and involved using a lathe to make it work.  I searched and a couple more popped up.  Now all that's missing is an automated clamping mechanism, lacking that pretty much kills my desire for the motor.

That motor has quite a bit more power than the ones you and I were looking at.  So we know that works, we don't know the minimum.  That's the same flex coupling I had in my cart.  Lucky me, that motor is now out of stock, so back to searching.  I'm thinking that if the wattage is half, but the speed is half, torque should be the same then, right?  Or go the other way.  There's also a 600 RPM version of that motor, that would save some adjustment time.

This would be a great time for a project that can be done fully inside a heated garage.

He gave the specs on both motors that he tried.  The first motor barely did the job, but he has additional weight on his table.  I don't remember what yours has.

Also, I commented about clamping, then thought about it, there's probably no need to for 'normal' drilling.  I commented on this guy's video about the clamp and he doesn't use it.  Check his reply to me, (DonziGT230) he talks about another guy that did a motor and clamp, it might give more motor ideas.  And searching YT revealed a few other videos that I didn't look at.