CBR1100XX.org Forum

A plumber would be cheaper...or at least worth the money.

Zero Knievel

Mom complained about issues with the washroom sink.

First trip to town for hardware...kits for the type of sink faucet I was told we have.

Second trip to town for hardware...return kits, get replacement cut off valves because the originals leak once actuated after 30 years, buy o-rings and seal variety pack because there's no easy way to match parts.

Third trip to town for hardware...to get the part of the faucet I brought to match up o-rings and seals which was left behind at checkout.  Would have done this the next morning, but it's a good thing I didn't...they had the wrong part at the service desk...mine was still sitting at the register.

Forth trip to town for hardware...to get new cut off valves because the ones I got don't fit the pipe coming out of the floor.

Fifth trip to town for hardware...to get couplings and some pipe to replace the pipe that cracked when I tried to remove the old cut off.  Also grab a pipe cutter for tight spaces that works on PVC/CPVC.

In the end, had to call the neighbor to borrow CPVC glue because I thought I had some but did not...and what I had was way too old.  Then, I needed the neighbor to come help put the last bit back together because when on my back, I have a hard time applying Teflon tape and working a wrench...especially after this many trips to town.

Not sure what a plumber would have cost, but for each trip to town, the aggravation, and never coming back with the exact items I ended up needing, I have to wonder if it would have been worth it.

Plumbing is a thing that always takes more time/trips than you can predict.  I want a new valve and bib put on the side of the house, with the main water feed.  Everyone keeps saying "soldering copper is easy," but zero fucking chance I'm doing this on the water main.

On 9/30/2021 at 2:58 PM, SwampNut said:

Everyone keeps saying "soldering copper is easy,

It is easy but you have to get it right or it makes it way harder to do it twice.  I put a new valve, etc. on my main and it does put more pressure on you when you know it must be done right before the water man goes home for the day to turn your water back on.