CBR1100XX.org Forum

Slightly Off Topic - Ninja 250

Hobicus

I went with a friend to check out a 96 Ninja 250 tonight. She's looking for a small starter sportbike, and saw this one in the paper.

Of course, I found the bike underpowered, etc, but it had a couple of other problems.

The front brake has a bit of a pulse problem... when you're slowing, it feels like it grabs, releases, grabs, releases... I'm thinking it's probably the brake rotor. Thoughts?

Also.. it makes quite a bit of clicking noise, sounds like it's valve related. Not sure if an adjustement is in order, or if it's something more serious. The guy who owns it says it's always been like that, and it's the nature of the bike. Whaddaya think?

Yep, deffinate warped rotor.

Find out what type of valve train it has. Screw and locknut, shim over or under bucket, etc.

It's a small bike, it's probably been ZINGED most of it's life.

What's the mileage and asking price?

$1,500, 7k miles. It's overpriced, though.

I'll see if I can figure out what the valve train type is.

It's a "clicky" valvetrain normally, though I didn't hear it so I don't know if it's louder than normal. Don't expect it to sound like your XX.

The rotor is warped.

I know of a couple of EX250s with 50k on the clock and still going.

If you can get it for a steal, go for it, but an SV650 is a far better bike if you can swing the cash.

Thanks for everyone's input. Checking around, I found a front wheel on Ebay which has the rotor for $10 right now. Replacement stocker is going to cost $190 or so, and I found an used one for about 60, so... no worries.

I'd prefer it if she'd get a SV 650, but she hasn't been riding all that long, and maybe a 250 is OK for her until she gets the bug for something bigger.

The SV is no less friendly than the 250. The bigger motor makes it no worse for a starter bike. While she'll probably be fine with the 250 also, the SV is so much more bike all around. Truly the only reason to take the 250 is cash.

After riding the 250, I concur. However, it's her money. She DOES have some $ issues, and that plays a part, but she's SOOO tiny (95 lbs, soaking wet) that she's worried anything bigger than a 250 will be too much bike for her.

I figure I'll let her get her feet wet, then when she gets the bug for something bigger, I'll buy the thing from her and maybe turn it into a trackbike or something.

i had one as my first bike...excellent place to start, pretty good aftermarket. if she's small, then it might be better for her.

granted, i got rid of mine about 6-8 months after i got it...but it served the purpose well.

The EX250 is an excellent motorcycle and one of the few 250s that can go 100 mph.

The thing gets something like 70 mpg and is damn smooth when the valves are properly adjusted (pretty easy job) and the carbs are in sync.

In the last Iron Butt Rally... a guy riding one of these bikes took 12th place or something like that. Beat the shit out of all sorts or riders on Goldwings, BMWs, ST1300s, etc :roll:

You're gonna have to teach her to slip the hell out of the clutch, with no torque from the inline twin, it's REAL easy to stall, or it will chug and lurch till the RPMs come up a bit. Pretty unsettling for a newbie. Even the GS500f that my buddy just got for a first bike, just chugs at low RPM, really have to slip the clutch at low speed maneuvers. Still a fun bike though.