CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake Pad Questions

blkbrdrydr

It's time to replace my brake pads and I'm undecided as to order another set of OEM pads or switch to the EBC HH pads.

Which will I want for normal everyday sport-touring riding?

Which will destroy the rotors sooner?

Who has the best prices on each?

Thanks

Yeah, I prefer the Galfers. Running them back-to-back, I found I greatly preferred the Galfer pads. See the reviews section of the site for details why. Basically the non-linear heat/friction curve of the EBC's bothered me. I had been told that's just part of using a high-friction pad like that, but the Galfer Black pads don't have the problem. The Galfer Green pads are my favorites in dry weather, but mushy when wet.

like Dave DBLXX's mouth!!! Which is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMFAO! You two need to get a room!

Ken

Ah, now we have guys quoting "Disturbed" in their taglines. (Where have I been, right?) Well, the 'Bird is an iron fist in a velvet glove. Disturbed are just the former.

On to brake pads.

I'm about to install replacements. Total mileage on the first set of HH's will end up about 15K miles, which is stupendous IMO from a sport pad. I've had EBC Greens last 3K miles or less at comparable braking power.

At 16K, I ran a micrometer over the calipers. I'll do the same tomorrow and check the delta. Current mileage is about 31K. I'll report those results maybe in a separate thread. I doubt the HH's are eating the rotors, but we'll let the numbers tell. I wanted a baseline back then in case the rumors of HH's eating rotors were true.

This side of EBC Greens, the HH's are the best pads I've ever used. They work exceptionally well with stainless steel rotors, like most modern sintered pads. They do come on strong and hard, almost like a stainless steel brakeline-equipped bike. They are not for the noob or timid. (No one riding a Bird is a noob or of timid mind by definition, though there are always exceptions.)

In a seperate matter, someone here recommended the Motorcycle Online Store for these pads. I'll second that: I bought three pair for a good price, and they arrived quickly. Thumbs up on them, too.

I ended up ordering EBC HH pads from www.parts411.com for $29.99 per caliper.

At the same time, I ordered 2 sets of EBC pads and a new EBC front rotor for my son's EX250.

Total shipping for 5 sets of pads and a rotor was $12.

Not bad.

Thanks for the input

got mine also from parts411, best price i could find and they did me good on a quick ship.