CBR1100XX.org Forum

Can’t buy the part, have to buy the assembly BS

Mechanic

:evil:

The vacuum operated petcock on my BB is leaking.

Lift the gas tank, remove the petcock and remove the four screws holding the diaphragm in place. Hey presto – the part is there to be inspected and replaced (the sealing face on mine was damaged). The manual even shows it as a separate item and describes how to replace it.

Here comes the rub; you can’t buy it. You have to buy the complete assembly. Kerching……. $210 with tax.

Bullshit – that sort of thing really pisses me off. One dealer I spoke to said that Honda probably does this because they can’t trust the competency of people doing their own maintenance.

Not really an acceptable excuse, otherwise why can you buy wristpin circlips, or valve guides for instance?

Anyone got any smart ideas as to how to resolve this. I’m going to write to Honda Canada expressing my displeasure!!!

The complete petcock from Ron ayers is $113.73...

Part Number: 16950-MBB-640

Description: PETCOCK ASSY.

Price: $113.73

But the diaphragm could come with the new cover, for $ 27.77...

Part Number: 16953-ML0-014

Description: COVER SET, PETCOCK

Price: $27.77

Tell your dealer to call HONDA and have someone to go phisically look at the part in the warehouse.

I used to work in two Honda dealerships.

People in HONDA are very friendly and they will check the part.

It's your dealer that has to show some initiative..... :evil:

PM me if they'll give you some bullshit...My local Honda parts guys are cool, I can find it out for you.... :cool:

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/frames.cfm?c...51&groupid=3590

Cheers,

Thanks for all the help people. I’ve phoned the three local dealers and each one tells me they only list the complete assembly.

I’ll ask them to go and look again at the part number birdie_XX gave me for the cover set (16953-ML0-014). Fingers crossed.

You’re all so helpful, you should come over for a barbie. Summers in BC are great, and we’ve got some pretty good roads.

Thanks again.

Thats bullshit.. Buddy of mine works the parts desk at the local Honda shop. He can look up every nut, bolt, and washer.

He spent one full day of being bored and selected every part number you would need to built a RC-51 from the the ground up buying the parts from the dealer. Think the total bill was almost $49,000 :roll: talk about price gouging

This belongs in the garage BTW. :wink:

I had the same problem with my 98. When assembled at the factory the diaphram was munched and had a hole in it. Didn't leak gas but caused a vac. leak.

I bought it used with 3800 miles on it in July of 99. Out of warantee. Don't know how it wasn't found by prev. owner, bike ran lean on #3.

I bitched long and hard and Honda finally bought me a new petcock.

Check K&L they make petcock parts and carb parts.

In the JC Whitney cat. under Goldwings there is a pic of a K&L diaphram that looks exactly like ours. I haven't crossed the #'s though mines fine. :roll:

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got the parts yesterday and that part number…..

16953-ML0-014 - Description: COVER SET, PETCOCK

……does include the rubber stop and diaphragm. All fitted and ready to go! Thanks to all and particularly birdie_xx