CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ignition switch failure

Hobicus

So I stop today to fill the tank at the local Mobile station. Use the speedpass, put the key in the gas tank, fill the tank, close the lid, put the key in the ignition and

It Won't Fucking Turn

No matter WHAT I do, it won't turn. I just dropped it off at the dealer, they've never heard of this happening. Warranty work, but I won't have it back until Wed at the earliest :evil: :evil: as they have to order a new lockset for the whole bike.

As I was typing this, they just called. they were playing with it, and got it to work, and since then it hasn't failed again. They're going to go ahead and order the new lockset, but if I want to come pick it up, and ride it all weekend, I can. Sigh.

I've had huge problems with my key/gas tank...

My gas tank likes to stick shut.. So I have to kinda 'persuade' the lid to flip open by pulling on the key...

This results in the key developing a noticeable but slight bend over time...

And a slight bend in the key, and then it won't work properly in the ignition.

I'm willing to bet your key got the final little tweak when opening the lid on the gas tank... enough to bend the key so it won't work in the ignition.

I had extra keys made and now keep 2 on the ring.. I use one key to open the gas tank, and another for the ignition... That way I don't care that one key gets pretty bent up. (it still opens the gas tank bent, just won't turn the ignition) (one must have tighter tolerances then the other)

If they are going to put new lockset in for free... cool... but I wouldn't be suprised if you have the same issue again.

I have yet to figure out why the gas tank lid sticks... I thinkI overfill the gas, and then it causes the latch to soak in gas and stick I didn't want to put any kind of lubricant on the latch clips because I didn't want to pollute my gas.

This happened to me as well in Cody last year.

I ended up having a toggle switch put on the thing so I could get home, worked very well.

When I ordered the part they tried to make me pay for the labor and Honda would pay for the parts, I gave them a bit of shit and did not pay for labor or the part as this has been a big problem especially with VFR's.

Actually, I think Nik is somewhat close on the mark here.

The key I usually use had a slight bend to it. Not overly noticable, but it was there. As I don't habitually abuse my key, I'm not sure how it got there, but... it's possible that it was the culprit. Most likely when I went to put the key in and turn something, it caused one of the tumblers to get stuck. I think that after I put in the graphite, etc, that eventually the guy at the dealership futzed around with it enough to break the tumbler loose, thereby temporarily aleviating the problem.

Since I paid good money for the extended warranty, I'd prefer it if I actually got something out of it, such as fixing the locks when they break. Otherwise, I'd probably go the same route as was described in the article Joe mentioned, and just see if I could fix it myself. Locks and tumblers aren't rocket science, especially when you've got someone who took pictures.

I've since taken the slightly bent key, and with the help of my trusty vice, been able to straightenit enough for it to work when put in the ignition both ways. Pretty screwy, but I'll take it. At least until the new lockset shows up.

How are you guys closing your gas caps?

I just push mine down by hand, and let the key come back on it's own. I've seen guys push down on the key, while turning. This would surely cause some problems in the long run, IMO.

Might also want to invest in some lock cylinder lubricant, or quit washing your bike! :wink:

Okay, I think we all know that Nik is just TORQUING on that key way to HARD! :lol:

Yeah, I had ignition problems, like when the bastard used a SLIDE HAMMER!!!! on it. Then it started just fine for him, with just a screwdriver! Ohhh, and fork lock is useless after this treatment! :lol: