CBR1100XX.org Forum

modifying CCT again

porterb123

After reading bullets post I did not understand...but after installing the new X11 cct and taking the old 1 apart , I do

There is a coil spring inside that exerts a twisting force that unscrews a threaded portion of the cct that extends the piston. Like a dummy I did not count the # of turns of preload..but I did wind it to 19 full turns before it got close to coil bind and it does exert more pushing force when you remove the key or screwdriver.

If anyone has a used stock one and wants to check....put the body in a vise..look at where the spring leg is and mark that location. Remoce the circlip and hold the spring leg in place...remove the 4 leg washer and then carefully unwind the coil spring until it is completley relaxed.....this will be the preload with the piston fully extended.

I took my old one apart and put it back together in about 15 min...its not too tricky to do.

I thought of a test that seems viable Take a stock cct with the plunger retracted and key..put the body in a vise or other fixture to hold it ...position a postal or meat scale on its side against the piston and release the key. .... if the piston etends all the way, then the scale would have to be pushed closer to the piston until some weight was preloaded and measured again until it would only extend a set amont. The force of push could be measured and compared to the X11 cct.

Maybe a little more preload on the stock unit could fix the common rattle. The stock unit appears well made and there is no internal slack to rattle.

If I had the extras lying around, I would try it....anyone game??

Porter

Repost from an earlier date. If you look at the picture that's not all that's different.

--------------

I installed the new CCT today and my BB now runs quietly right through 4K RPM, like it should. This is the OEM part that came with the mounting bolts and gasket for a grand total of $32.

BTW just to add to our tech database I measured the old & new parts and noticed that the new is longer (old=4.525" and new 4.535") and that the orientation of the shaft is also different. See pics at the site below for visual clarity.

http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0703/Ge...orcycles/Parts/

my engine makes a noise like a big end gone when it gets really hot, which is hard to believe since it's only got 30 000 km or 18 000 miles is it possible that this is also cam chain tensioner? if so does anyone have a part number for the new cct?

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Porterb........I'm not trying to be a smartass, but its a $35 part that takes about 15 minutes to change (including the right side fairing removal). Why would you want to do all of that testing, measuring, etc? Go riding and have some fun. :lol:

• 1 month later...

I replaced my old tensioner with 30,000 miles on the bike. The piston on it was 3/4 of the way out. At this rate I'll probably need a new camchain at 40k. Anybody else measure how far out the piston is on their tensioner?

I'm glad this topic came up. I replaced my old CCT this spring, I don't think it needed it, but the mileage suggested that maybe I should (as preventative maintenance). I put in an OEM CCT and wouldn't you know it, I hear more noise at 4K rpm now, than before? Any suggestions?