CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake bolt fell out!!

Hobicus

The bolt that holds the left front brake caliper fell out. :shock: I heard this rubbing sound when I hit the brakes. Thought it was the pads, turns out the bolt's missing. I was 40 miles from home when I heard it, with my wife on the back, so there was really no choice but to limp the bike home going easy on the brakes. Didn't realize it was missing the bolt until I got it home.

The rotor looks OK, but not great. I'm thinking that after getting a new bolt (and using Loctite) that I should probably replace the rotor, too. Should I get 2, so that both sides are the same?

Anyone have that bolt and or rotors they want to part with? PM me if you do.

According to Ronayers, it's a #8x48($5.60). My hardware store had one in stock ($.85, and the checkout girl is cute). So I loctited it in, took her for a spin around the block it seems Ok. I'll baby it on the way to work tomorrow, and probably order the $5.60 one anyways.

I got my pads from Madison Motorsports but the reason is that they had them in stock, and would wait for me when I called them 5 minutes before closing time. I'm a pretty good customer of theirs, though. I think they charged me $75 or so for the EBC HH pads, which is probably more than online, but they treat me right.

I don't think I would substitute a hardware store bolt when your brakes are concerned.

Unless you researched the hardness,fatigue strength, etc.

Spend the $5.60.

How bad is the rotor damage and is it on the swept area?

This is why Honda recomends that you replace these bolts when you remove the wheel, or the brake caliper.

The factory replacement bolts have a thread locking compound.

(Or, you can safety wire your front end, and get that racer replica look)

Agreed, I'm not going to sweat the cost of a $5 part. Bolt is on order. The one that's in there will hold it until I get it in the next couple of days. It's sunny and 70 here. I dont' want to miss a great riding day. I was planning on getting a stripper to sit on the bike tonight and take a picture or two. :grin:

It's my bad, since I didn't Loctite the bolt when I put it back in after the recent front tire change. I even know better. :oops:

Rotors seem OK, I did some high speed brake tests on my way in today, and there's nothing wrong with them, so I 'm not going to sweat it at this time.

Rich, do you torque your caliper bolts?

Thread locker is just insurance, IMO. A properly torqued bolt should never back off, but I go over my front end bolts, and both axle bolts whenever I'm doing any kind of service on the bike (oil change, replacing tires, getting ready for a big trip, etc.), or about once every couple of weeks.

Only takes a few minutes, and makes you feel better when you're throwing it into your favorite turn........ :twisted:

Yes, I usually do, but this time I was in a bit of a hurry. :oops: The other side of the coin was that it was about 30 degrees outside when I last had the front wheel off, and it's possible that it was temperature related.

Bottom line, is that it's holding up well, and I know better than to do THAT again. Duh.

Rich:

I just ordered some from the NH shop and they were close $ to Ron Ayers.

Following this thread here:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9621

I think there is a typo in that bolt length. If its the bottom of the caliper which holds the assembly & slave too, its measured out as 45mm BTDT. I got photos too.

I don't know if 3mm is going to rub or have clearance issues, but the service manual calls it a pivot bolt, the fiche????????????? Who knows......

The torque value seems low too...........~23 ft lbs?

-Suf Daddy

According to Ronayers, it's a #8x48($5.60). My hardware store had one in stock ($.85, and the checkout girl is cute). So I loctited it in, took her for a spin around the block it seems Ok. I'll baby it on the way to work tomorrow, and probably order the $5.60 one anyways.

Well, I had my parts guys order it by number. I'll measure the length and let you know.

As for the torque value, as long as it's got a locking compound in place, I don't think it's a huge deal. 23 ft lbs is Ok if the threads are locked, considering our rear wheel is held on with 69 ft lbs..

23 lb/ft is actually high for an 8mm bolt. Most bolts that size torque around 15 lb/ft.

The caliper bolts are obviously made out of some type of Kryptonite or something.

Rich, that'll learn ya for not torquing things.....:nono:

Northman, I guessed at the Torque from memory, it could be one of the 16 ft lbs ones......

Bike and manual is down the street in the "shop".

-SUf Daddy

23 lb/ft is actually high for an 8mm bolt. Most bolts that size torque around 15 lb/ft.

The caliper bolts are obviously made out of some type of Kryptonite or something.

Rich, that'll learn ya for not torquing things.....:nono:

I was riding Mt. Palomar yesterday and on the way up saw a silver bird (read that slower bird) parked on the side. As I went by I thought I saw a disk lock or something strange on the front rotor.

A the top the owner (Brad) came up to me and told me his tale of woes. He had the front fender replaced and while they were at it he got new tires thrown on as well. Anywho the LBS Pivot bolt fell out on his as well but we concluded that the cause was most likely minimum wage mechanics at the shop he took it to.

He had zip tied the calliper away from the rotor and tried to ride it to the top but the LBS system caused the rear brake to clamp down and he couldn't continue.

Glad you were able to make it home successfully Hobi.

Just did a one over on all the bolts on the bike...it seems like 80% of them weren't torqued to the recommended specs....another reason why I don't have alot of confidence w/ service depts...