CBR1100XX.org Forum

How to modify CCT

Bullet

Does anyone know how many turns the stock CCT spring is wound at from the factory?? I tore one of the three I had changed from that aggravating rattling noise apart. Pretty simple device yet well made. Seems the chain tension is a function of the amount of turns that the spring is wound. Wondering if I tighten one extra turn does it return to the factory preload. :?:

The screw in the end is preloaded from the spring inside. If you remove the circlip and let the flange out of its keys it unwinds rapidly. It has got to be close to 10-15 preload turns but I don't know exactly. Thats what I'm tring to find out. :wink:

The force that the foot exerts is only that of the spring tension, regardless of how many turns it winds up.

The # of turns is determined by the thread pitch. Foce on the foot is determined by spring preload. How many turs is the preload??

With the key removed, the spring in the tensioner lifter allows the piston in the lifter to fully extend (or to extend until it contacts something like the cam tensioner in the engine). Functionally it doesn't "preload" the cam chain, it just eliminates the slack. Use the key to rewind the piston into the lifter body, install the lifter, and remove the key. This can't get much simpler.

I'm guessing not, or else he wouldn't be asking. Does anyone have a spare to take apart? Why couldn't a spring with a different spring rate be put in it's place, wouldn't that help with the cct tension? Mild change, not drastic.

If you can change oil on your own you will be O.K. with manual tensioner from APE.45 $ I guess and all this stupid CCT treads die once and for all :lol:

Joe I have no complaints of you or the product I paid for. It was definately better than the stock unit that I replaced twice. I have this obscure affliction of always being the exception to the rule. Maybe I'm too anal? :shock: Whats the deal with the manual CCT?? How frequently does it need to be set?

I asked my engine builder about this, and his recommendation was to stick to a stock type of CCT.

The manuals can be finicky to setup, and do requre periodic adjutments.

Too much tension, and you could cause premature wear on the chain and guides.

If I had a dedicated drag bike, I'd go with the manual. Otherwise, I'd stick with the stock type.

What happens if you loosen your cct mounting bolts by a half turn...tap the cct to get it a tiny bit loose, then re-tighten the bolts. Wouldn't you have just made a manual CCT? Might this be a hold over?

yah, but this loose marble sound is starting to get to me. I've been asked if I have a loose heat plate (?!?!). People hear it rattling when I drive by now. It's nasty.

Once stock CCT starts making noises there is no cure,can`t be fixed,got to get new one.

Of course I don`t know anything about engines but me says that little spring losses tension (rate) due to the high temps or perhaps material fatique?

Anyway it is not like you own H-D and you are waiting for cam bearings to fail or BMW and shaft can go kaput anytime. :twisted:

A loose chain is better than an overly tight one...from an engineering standpoint, anyway.

Joe do you know what part is actually rattling?? Is it the tensioner guide or the chain on one of the sprockets? You can actually tighten the load spring in 1/2 turn increments. I think I'm going to install the old honda recomended fix and add a 1/2 turn. Again I apologise for not telling you in a pm, really it didn't even cross my mind that you would want to know. The nagging fact is that if I put a new Honda CCT in there it will be fine for 2k,......... that spring has got to be losing tension. I dont think the chain or the gears are wearing that fast. I'll keep you updated on the status if you like. :wink:

You can't push the lifter back once it winds out, so maybe turning the screw a half turn would solve the issue?

I never thought to do this, but it might be worth a shot.

I also dissected my stocker, and only found about 2 turns of extra preload after the plunger was fully extended before it ran out of thread. After that, there was about another 2-3 turns of the spring (was very hard to measure, holding 3 different pieces with only 2 hands).

I'll keep playing with it, and see what else I can find out.

What are you guys talking about turning the spring an extra half turn? What spring, how do you do what you refer to?