CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anyone using Shell Rotella 5-40 synthetic please read.

Pete in PA

I just changed my oil to this and I didn't get that usual "just changed" feeling with the shifting.

Usually I change the oil when the shifting gets clunky, at about 4k miles. When I do, the shifting gets smooth and quiet. It didn't this time.

This is the first time I used this stuff due to approval here (and other sites) and price. I'm about ready to drain this stuff right back out and put the Mobil 1 15-50 back in. It recently dropped it's price back down at Wally World but still more than the Shell.

Use whatever. Both are proven good. The feel in shifting is completely unrelated to engine wear overall. If you just want it to shift differently, then sure, just use whichever oil you prefer.

Damn. And I just went and bought a gallon of the Rotella synthetic 5W-40. My guess is it would have something to do with the 5W base allowing some more gear noise. Oh well, I'll use it anyway.

Dude, I`ve been using syntec Rotella for over a year now with no neg. side effects.Thicker oil will "absorb" more noise,perhaps you should try 75w/90. :twisted:

Got my case of Amsoil today.

Changed out the Chevron 15w50 synthetic.

I've got to say that Amsoil's 15w50 synthetic motorcycle oil is my oil of choice from now on.

The bike shifts cleaner than it ever has, and the motor seams to run even smoother than it already did.

If you have not tryed Amsoil, I would strongly recommend that you do.