CBR1100XX.org Forum

Strange front Avon 45 wear.

Pete in PA

I've had fronts that wore the left side worse, but not this.

At 9k miles the front 45 is about bald on the right. Maybe 1/32nd on the left.

There has been a lot of explanations for the left wear, but none for the right. I've still got the same allignment I've always had using swingarm marks.

Is this good mileage for the front at least? I know my rear sucks.

Metzelers going on real soon.

Interestingly enough, at about 9k I'm down to no tread on the right of my Avon front as well. I'm chalking it up to the tire being worn out, though, as that was about what I was expecting to get.

Worse part is that it's got a SLIGHT bit of shake going on around 45mph. It used to have a decelration shake at 45, now it's it's got one all the time. However, as my rear still has lots of life, and in general I've been pleased with both the stickiness and the life of both front and rear tires, I went ahead and ordered a new set (I'll save the back tire and use it later, as I tend to go through rears twice as fast as the front tires)

The NEXT set of tires may be something else, though. I just know it won't be Dunlops.

Anyone know if Avon's still offering their road hazard warranty this year like they did last year?

The center of my avon front still looks new and both sides are well worn. The rear I went through the center was gone and the edges still had quite a bit of life so I think the side walls of the avon front are pretty soft. It has about 10K on it.

I had the rear replaced last year with there warrentee with NO QUESTIONS asked

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has been wearing OK but it is out of round and causes a vibration at higher speeds. I also have some odd feedback through the bars which I attribute to the square tire.

My Avon also has more wear on the right side. It may be due to the number of fast right-hand sweepers on my daily commutes. Overall, I've been pleased with the AV45/46 combo. 6K on the rear and the wear bars are hitting pavement. (but only on one section of the tire :???: ) May go with something different next.

G2

I took a real close look, and noticed that with 12k on it, my front has one uneven pattern. Not right-to-left, but the "points" of the main part of the tread pattern in the center of the tire are all worn down for an inch or so. I'm gonna guess this is why I get a light wobble at 45 if I take my hands off the bars, which didn't happen with new rubber.