CBR1100XX.org Forum

Speedo recal.

pace

Just wanted to give you guys a tip, since I had not seen it mentioned here. The 'product reviews' section of the forum outlines an install for an Aussie Yellow Box speedo recalibrator. However, I wanted to find a completely plug and play solution, cheaper, and available in the USA.

Jim Ahlman offers such a solution. It runs $85, and although the XX is not listed on his site, he was able to supply me with a Honda model that was a direct fit. Just disconnect the speedo harness, and plug one end into the recalibrator input, and the other in to the output. No cutting or splicing of wires is necessary. The recalibrator is adjustable for a +/-25% correction I believe. It arrived within two days of ordering. Installation was a 5 minute task, and the device appears to work flawlessly so far. Adjustment is achieved by removing the device cover and flipping toggle switches. Mine is located under the seat.

You can buy one here:

http://www.jahlmandesign.com/prod01.htm

-Pace

With one tooth down it should be about 15%. That is how I set mine and then found a radar trailer to verify it. You can also use a GPS if you have one.

Probably been mentioned many times somewhere here, but about $29.00 will get you a Sigma bicycle digital speedo that can easily be calibrated to I think 1/10th mph accuracy. I have them on all my scooters and once set up are quite nice since they record a variety of data, including actual max speed, etc.

They always track to within 1mph of the radar signs they have around here in the construction zones too, for what it's worth.

Probably been mentioned many times somewhere here, but about $29.00 will get you a Sigma bicycle digital speedo that can easily be calibrated to I think 1/10th mph accuracy.  I have them on all my scooters and once set up are quite nice since they record a variety of data, including actual max speed, etc.

They always track to within 1mph of the radar signs they have around here in the construction zones too, for what it's worth.

I got one and they do work great.

these do work great. i've had one for over a year. plug & play is definitely the way to go. make sure you mount the box where you can get to it easily for calibration, i zip tied mine to the right framework under the seat.

The best one I've found is the Sigma Sport BC800. If memory serves it reads to 188mph and maintains average speed, average moving time, max speed and has a clock. I epoxied a small round magnet into the right front brake disc and made an aluminum pickup mount anchored to the front fender mounting bolt beneath the fender.

Others may have found other newer models, but I've had excellent luck with this version. I use a Sigma BC401 on my old XS1100 turbo, but it doesn't read as high and has no clock, but does have the same level of accuracy once you've plugged in the actual length of travel acheived with one tire rotation. As a side note, be aware that the wire from the pickup must be routed carefully. On the Yamaha every time I'd start the bike the speedo would reset, although if simply pushed while not running it would read and work fine.

It turned out it was picking up crosstalk from being routed too near to the wire harness that fed the electronic tach on the bike which really confused it.

Pace,

Can you post which model you ordered? This might minimize questions

to the vendor also.

Thanks

I believe there is only one Honda model. Regardless, I just told Jim that I had an 'XX, and asked him if he could help. When you PayPal, just specify the bike model and you'll get the correct device.

I assumed a 16% error given that I'm one tooth down on the front. I will verify this with my GPS when I have time.

I found that the box was a perfect fit under the seat, kinda close to the U-lock holder. I just velcro'd it in place, with the removable cover facing up. I can try to take a pic tomorrow if it helps.

-Pace

I believe 16% is way too much of an error.

To find the error you compare the stock final gear ratio to your new gear ratio.

On the XX, stock is 17 front and 45 rear. Now you are going to 16 front and still 45 rear. So, the math goes like this:

Compare 45/17 to 45/16 which is: 2.65 and 2.81. There is then a 0.16 difference, but it is this difference compared to stock of 2.65, so the error is only 6 percent, not 16%. That is 0.16 is only 6% of 2.65. And that would be the speedo error, 6% difference in speed, example, the speedo would now read 100 mph when the bike was actually going 94 mph.

This statement legally disavows any notion that this reply is accurate in anyway, or even remotely correct, as this post is on the Internet and therefore anything written must be independently scrutinized and, as Rockmeup stated, there is no test or fee or credentials needed to post here. So, use this knowledge at your own risk.

xxtraspec99 your statement is very true, however i believe that PACE came to the 16% because of the new 6% difference when changing gear ratios plus the 10% factory error.

he seems to know what he is talking about at other times.

(the 0.16 difference and the 16% are just co-inky dinks)

pace, please post some more information per which model you have

thank you

Pace,

What year XX do you have? Will the box work with analog gauges? I have a 1998.

I asked the same question to a knowledgable board member and found out the type of speedo does not matter on our bikes as they all get the data from the same place on the crank. The box will work fine on all XX's. I'm going to get one soon I hope.

Cool thanks Scot.

I have a GPS, but I don't like putting extra miles on the odometer with the one tooth down.

Same situation here. In fact, when I get the Box I plan on setting it on the other end of the spectrum in order to compensate for the extra miles put on with the stock error during the first 20K. So by the time the bike has 40k or so on it the ODO is correct.

Speedohealer.com has a calculator on their site to enter new parameters that change the speedo and/or odo readings. For the bird, with a 16 front sprocket and 5.5% factory compensation, it says 11.8% difference.

Hey Guys

I have a 1997.. so for sure this works on the 'analog' speedo. My hunch however, is that all the 'birds have a 3-wire sensor output in which case this will work fine. I think the gauge type is somewhat inconsequential since the device is designed to work with Hall-effect type sensors (pretty much all modern motorcycles). To clarify - I didn't request a specific part number nor did the box that Jim sent me have a part # anywhere on it. I just told him that it was for a 1997 CBR1100XX.

I'm going to commute the bike tomorrow, so I'll take the GPS with me and report my findings.

My 16% guestimation was taken from eyeballing the GPS with the 17T sprocket in place and figuring the factory error, then adding the error for the 16T which I later switched to. Actually, I'll be going back to the 17T soon as I have a roadtrip coming up and also have been commuting on the bike quite a bit. Gas consumption has increased significantly with the 16T, and I constantly find myself trying to grab another gear.

-Pace

Rode the bike in to work today with the GPS hooked up. At an indicated 70mph on the speedo, the GPS says ~72mph. So I need to bring the recal down a couple of clicks. It's currently at 16% correction.

Hope this helps. Will report back when I nail it down.

-Pace

i have mine set at 12%. it reads the same as the gps at various speeds up to 100. i never really paid attention after that. except top end, the speedo says 175 & the gps reads 172. 3mph off at 170 + aint bad.

• 3 weeks later...