CBR1100XX.org Forum

FI 'Bird ECU

jrdxx

I got an email message over the weekend from someone visiting the board (turboxx, perhaps?) requesting assistance in troubleshooting EFI diagnostic codes. His efforts led him to the discovery that the ECU is in need of replacement. Does anyone have any leads on a serviceable used/salvaged ECU (2002 XX)?

I honestly don't know. From what little information he's given, it appears he bought the bike from someone who campaigned it as a dragbike. In any event, the combination of tire selection and rear suspension settings had allowed the rear tire to abrade through the rear fender liner and get to the ECU....

Physical damage isn't covered, of course.

Here's a little-known tip... According to EPA regulations, the ECU carries a mandatory 60k warranty. All emissions-related components are required to by law, so even the injectors and such could be covered by this.

I admit it's pretty bizarre, but I've heard of much worse. He's not trying to acquire a replacement ECU under warranty, just a replacement ECU, period. The Honda dealer quoted him a price of $780.00 for a new one. Talk about shock and awe...hence my question about salvaged/used ones.

thanks Jim for gettin this going.

There is not much left to this bike that is stock. It has a 6 inch over arm, turbo, bla bla bla This allows the back tire to pretty much tear up anything in its path. The suspension was set soft when he had it and he weighs around 160, me on the other hand 6'1 248lbs. Needless to say I don't think the dealer would be too understanding when I go in there with my ECU in my hand with a large tire mark burned completely thru the side.

This could prove to be one expensive pass down the track...I have tried Ebay and a few salvage yards but no luck...