CBR1100XX.org Forum

Another stupid tire question

seeten1

6.2K on the Avon 45/46's and very pleased with mileage. I change both tires at the beginning of the riding seaeon every year. Most people seem to get 2 rears out of one front with this combo. New rubber on front and back at the same time gives me better confidence/cheap insurance against a crash due to the front skidding. The rear tire is about a tank full of gas from the wear bars in the center. the front has plenty of tread but is lumpy to the touch. They were installed by the local Honda dealer, drive in, pay $92, drive out. 5K of hard riding with excellent straight line traction and twitsies grip I had never checked the air pressure untill one day in the XX forum reading a thread about tire pressures. it had 14# in the front 16# in the OMG this was way off from what most people run. Decided to try 40# in both, rode for 2 miles and was scared to death felt like i was about to lowside in every turn. It usually takes 6-8 miles of easy riding before the front tire feels good and sticky, but i couldn't ride another inch so I pull over and drop both to 35#, better but still felt uneasy. Dropped them both to 30# and felt OK not great but OK. the past 1.2K in 1st and 2nd gear the rear will often spin instead of wheelie, and the front seems to want to slide a bit in the twisties. Since i change both tires at the same can i run a softer tire in the front than the rear? Has anyone tried the SP sport/46 combo? Would there be any drawback/benefit in handling. Would the rear outlast the front? I am also considering to try the Michelin pilot road combo. Anyone that has used both the 45/46's and Michelin pilot road willing to give me a comparison would be great.

Anyone running the Pilot sport front/ pilot road rear?

Thanks

Buy a new gauge.

Same thing happened to me, and I found out my gauge was out of whack.

Oh, and learn how to use separate paragraphs. One endless one is hard to read......... :shock:

I am running the Michelin sport pilot and I run 38 psi Fr- 40 psi Rr no worries here, rides great!

You might want to check and see if your gauge is off a bit. I really cant see the XX staying on the road with 15-16 in the tires?

BTW- take Northmans advise!

Oh, and learn how to use separate paragraphs. One endless one is hard to read.........  

:lol: :poke: :banghead:

OK, THREAD HIJACK IN PROGRESS!!!

REMAIN CALM.

Speaking of tires and pressure. I notice that many of you out there seem to run at below and well below the recommended pressure. I am curious.

I understand that running a lower pressure increases the contact patch, but I have also heard that running lower pressure increases the stress on the sidewall which can result in tire damage and even blowouts. Personally, I keep mine at the recommended pressure +- 40-42 PSI cold. Once again, personally, if my pressure was below 30 I wouldn't do any more than a first or second gear hobble to the nearest compressor to get them pumped back up.

One of the reasons that I ask this is because my rear tire BLOWS MUTILATED GREEN DONKEY PHALLUS and it is raining pretty good today. I was thinking of lowering the pressure to 35-36 before I head home.

So, what do you guys run pressure wise and what do you know about the pros and cons of lower tire pressure? Lets see what you freaks of nature have up your sleeves today.

and it is raining pretty good today

Far as running in the rain(if you ment it was actually raining), you should run them at max pressure. The more air in the tire, the more of a "V" it makes. And you want to "cut" throught the water as aposed to riding on top. (Hydroplaining)

I've been playing with tire press. not just in the rain, for quite some time now.

If you run 42 the tire runs cooler and should last longer. But it also narrows the contact patch and causes more wear in the center.

As North sugested I dropped my shagged Avons down from 42 to 36 F and 38 R. Rear still wearing as fast, 2 treads about flush in the center now with only 300 aditional miles.

The Z6's will be going on soon, and run at the press. given to me by Metzeler. 36-38F and 38-42R. I think I'll settle on 38 and 40. :roll:

I'm also a big fan of digital gauges. Less then $10 and the most accurate. I have 3 of them now and all identical to a 1/2 LB.

I run the Sport/Road combination and they have been very good. On the street I run 38-40 front, 42 rear----no problem with stick once warm (about 20 minutes). For track day at Streets of Willow--(it was a cold, windy day) they recommended 30 front, 32 rear--worked out OK but DAMN the Bird felt like a big heavy bus at those pressures. Just my opinion---------happy trails kel