CBR1100XX.org Forum

02 Bird VS 03

KawRider

97-98 no changes, carbureted

99-00 updated with EFI, updated LBS system, forks, front wheel, & rotors updated as well (fork internals updated).

Front wheel & rotors were replaced due to a larger bearing used in the newer models. Ram air also added, and a higher output charging system as well. Rear light was replaced with a larger unit

Tank capacity increased by almost a full gallon, as well.

01-updated with digital speedo & gauges, except for tach. Windshield replaced with a double-bubble design, 1" taller than the previous version. Signal lenses (front) were changed, as well as the feelers on the pegs.

02-updated ECU & R/R as previously stated. CA bikes got their oxygen sensors in that year, IIRC, as well as catalysts in the exhaust system.

No other changes I can think of right now.

Anyone else?

It's the "Honda Immobilizer Security System" or something like that.

Just the European bikes have it.

Also, it was the Europeans that got the ECU, cats, and oxygen sensor a year earlier than CA did.

Clutch plates? I missed that one. The whole clutch was redesigned for 99. Took a different number of springs as well.

as well as the feelers on the pegs.

Not sure about the feelers themselve, but the whole rider footpegs are changed on the '99 model, from '91/'98.....

Let's do colors, shall we ?!

US

- '97 Black :cool:

- '98 Black :???:

- '99 Black / different stickers :roll:

- '00 Titanium :cool: (Except Jerry's ! :wink: )

- '01 Candy Red :cool: :grin: :worship:

- '02 Silver :cool:

- '03 Black :roll: :???: ...

- '04 ....... :?:

Jeeze, I can't believe no one has mentioned the obvious.............. :wink:

The carbed version windscreens don't have the gradient fade and the irridescent coloring in the lower portion that covers the dash wiring.

The carbed versions have a "Honda" sticker on the nose between the headlight and windscreen and the FI versions have it in the screen itself.

The carbed versions don't have PGM-FI in the CBRXX stickers on the lower fairings.........duh!

Carbed bikes have black case covers instead of that ugly goldish color.

Carbed bikes have black painted stainless rotor carriers instead of the gold aluminum ones.....and the aforementioned larger hub.

No choke lever on the FI bikes......duh!

Knock sensor added to FI bikes.

"Friction damper" added to tranny in FI bikes in an attempt to minimize the 'clunk' when shifting from Neutral to 1st.

Clutch ratio changed for FI bikes resulting in lighter action.

Clutch friction plates reduced from 9 to 7 on FI bikes.

Larger radiator for FI bikes.

Oil cooler relocated and enlarged on FI bikes.

Radiator fan updated on FI bikes.

Different shaped crossmember behind steering head (the one that's in your way when changing plugs) on FI bikes.

Different cartridge rods in front forks on FI bikes.

Lighter footpegs were added to FI bikes.

Different handlebar castings on FI bikes.

Redesigned front brake lever for FI bikes.

The sidestand light on the dash was replaced with the FI light in '99.

Hope that covers it. I'm sure I've forgotten something, but that's all that comes to mind at the moment.

I knew I was forgetting something........

The rear subframe was changed in the area that mounts the R/R.

And, the whole undertray was changed to allow room for the ECU......and the new, big, ugly tail light. :razz:

And at some point, the fork lowers went from having a brushed finish to having a cast finish on them. Had to be sometime after 2000.

In my opinion, any XX from 97 and up is good. If I were to get a newer XX, it would be w/FI. Probably an 01 and up due to the newer dash. I been looking at mine for the last 65,000 miles and it's time to upgrade. :wink:

:grin: