CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fluid leakage

PAOW

Im hoping someone can help me out with this...

I went on a ride today, pulled into my house, parked the bike, and then it leaked radiator fluid onto the ground from under the engine. It didn’t leak a ton, and it didn’t look like it came from the radiator itself...maybe an overflow or something?

Does anyone have any idea what or why or how this might happen?

It looks like there's still fluid in the reserve under the seat...I just don’t want to ride it if it sounds like something more serious is happening.

Thanks a lot!

The first thing you need to do is determine precisely where the fluid is coming from. You may have a leak at a hose coupling on the engine or radiator. There is an overflow vent from the reservoir. Has your bike been serviced recently?

How long was your bike sitting and have you changed your antifreeze latly?

Some times with sitting for the season you with get a air pocket in the block! After you have ridden her for a while and got her up to temp she will (burp) and fill the over flow bottle and a little will leak out!

Make sure you set her up right and check the level in the radiator and over flow bottle. After that run her and make sure the fan is coming on at the right temp and see if she does it while you have her sitting there!

Aside from that, it is all basic by looking for lose clamp ect ect........

BTW make sure you dry everthing off first to make sure you can follow the leak if it happends again! :idea:

Hope this helps! :?:

Im going to try those suggestions.

Ive been riding the bike all season, so I know its not from it being parked for a long period of time.

It was just really strange that it happend just as I parked the bike, and shut it off. It was at night, and I may not have even noticed if it werent for the steam coming off from under the bike where the water met the metal.

Could be a leaking water pump.

Honda water pumps have what they call a "Telltale Hole" at the bottom of the water pump body. Check that for signs of mechanical seal coolant leakage. If that mechanical seal is where the leak is... you'll need to replace the water pump assembly.

Sometimes, Honda water pumps will fail if the wrong type of anti-freeze was ever used.

Otherwise... look for a damaged radiator hose or loose hose clamps

I just ran the bike as suggested here...the fan came on at the usual time...and no fluid leakage at all...nothing.

Looking under the seat, in the reserve, I can see that there is fluid there.

Could this be a one time thing? Or should I be worried?

THANKS!

BE WORRIED..........BE VERY WORRIED :!:

Just kidding. How much coolant did it loose that first time? Keep an eye on the level in the bottle and get a mirror and flashlight and check the bottom of the water pump (left side of bike at the bottom) and see if the weep hole is wet.

When it first happened Id say it lost a cup or two...just wham...fluid on the ground...then nothing.

I checked under the seat again, and it looks good. I also see no signs of leakage at all under the bike.

how often do you all check the coolant hoses.the reason i ask is a while back i had to take the alternator cover off and noticed one of the rear coolant hoses was stuffed.it was almost paper thin on one of the bends .and paow i had the same thing happen on my bike a few years back.stopped at a shop and noticed some coolant leak out.have no idea where it came from but it hasn,t done it again.

Might want to check your hose clamps as well.

Mine developed a leak over the last winter, and all I had to do was tighten the clamps a bit to eliminate it.

Rubber will settle over time, and all clamps should be re-checked after a few months, or at least each season.