CBR1100XX.org Forum

PCV Issue?

RC4G

1997 CBR1100xx, OEM brakes (no de-link)

After a recent ride I noticed that the rear brake was dragging but only after applying the rear pedal.

Since I was past time doing my my annual clutch and brake fluid swap I parked the bike until I could perform the service.

Unfortunately, fresh brake fluid swap did not resolve the issue.

Here are the current symptoms (after service):
1. Activating front brake calipers via lever works correctly.
2. Manually lifting the left front brake caliper to activate the secondary master will lock free-spinning rear wheel (as expected).
3. Activating rear brake pedal will lock free spinning front wheel (as expected).
4. Activating rear pedal repeatedly will stop and lock rear wheel. Rear wheel remains locked even when rear peddle released. Opening the rear caliper outer piston bleed nipple (outer pistons fed by PCV valve) frees the rear wheel, allowing it to free-spin again.

Since manually lifting the LF caliper to activate the secondary master cylinder works correctly I'm thinking this is a problem with the PCV valve since the rear pedal directly activates the only the center rear caliper piston.

Two questions:
1. The PCV valve for the carb'ed model is not available from American Honda. David Silver Spares has one but I would prefer to only have to pay full retail for the UK part as a last resort. The PCV valve for the FI xx's are still available in the US so if there any issue anyone is aware of with using the later model PCV valve on a carb'ed bike?
2. Can the PCV valves be serviced? There is no OEM seal/ring kit for it listed but can the PCV valve be disassembled/cleaned? Is there a source for aftermarket seals/rings?

Edited by RC4G

Mine is de-linked and I've never done any work on the linked system so I have no personal knowledge to share.  I've read others with similar problems pressed the rear brake really hard and heard a pop noise (suspected to be from the valve) and it has cured their sticking issues.  Seems it usually happens after a fairly long period of non-use.  For some it's intermittent sticking and others it's every time they use the rear brake.  I would try the hard press, if that doesn't work maybe tap the peddle with a hammer to shock the valve.  If it clears up I'd re-bleed the rear just to get rid of any crud that may have broken loose.

This may be only a curious coincidence, but Honda recalled GL1800 (Goldwing) models for "sticking and/or dragging rear brake issues" (NHTSA Recalls 11V-567, 14V-472, 15V-700); rear/secondary master cylinders were replaced.

As far as I can see the GL1800 and the XX use the same rear brake caliper (43150-MCA-006 or full assembly MCA4F1600D) and the same rear master cylinder (43510-MCA-305). I never had the rear brake "sticking/dragging" problem, but I nonetheless took my '01 GL1800 in for the recall a week ago. When I got it back, the invoice listed the replaced part as M/C SET, SECOND  Part # 06454-MCA-306.

The PCVs aren't the same; GL1800 (46200-MCA-672). The PCV for the '97 XX is obsolete/discontinued, replaced by the PCV found on later FI models (46200-MCA-E02).

• Upvote 1