CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ford Expedition - Rack & Pinion Leak

Speed99

All,

Checking in with our mechanics as I know nothing about this.

During an oil change, the mechanic told wife that the truck has grease and fluid leak around the rack and pinion. Haven't experienced any issues or noises with the steering. Is this a full replacement of the rack or can something else be done?

Thats all the info I have right now...hope it is enough to get a dialog started.

Thanks

I have a B3000 which is the same as a Ford Ranger.

R&P replaced once. Replacement has a PS fluid leak, but it's at the TOP where the steering column ties in. I bought some

Lucas Oil Power Steering Stop Leak and topped off the reservoir with that. Add more as needed. Still haven't used up the bottle.

If it works, you're good. You'll tend to lose more if the leak faces downward or pumps out whenever you steer. For a minor leak, you can let it slide until it gets worse with nothing to fear. Total loss doesn't mean you can't steer...it just gets a lot harder.

See any oil on the floor??? Get a second opinion, try to crawl under truck to see if you can see any leak.

ding ding winner winner

Just got my car out of the shop for warranty work, they made up a shopping list of "possible" stuff wrong or "needed" to be done.. Same company that didn't think I could properly use a tire gauge.

Definitely need to know the year.

Most of the newer vehicles have power steering racks that are so difficult to work on that you have to remove it from the vehicle to repair it. So you're paying to remove and replace a unit regardless. The real question is, do you want to fix the leaks on your X mileage used one and pay the associated labor for fixing those leaks, or buy a new one?

The redneck side of me says "maintain your fluid levels" and don't worry about it. If it leaks but you keep the fluid levels up, no problem. If it blows out completely, or if the fluid gets low and tears up hard parts, then consider replacement.

Wet seals mean nothing, especially if they're grimy, a real leak cleans the leak area. When it starts to drip then it's a leak, try stop-leak additive then. When it leaks enough that it bothers you more than emptying your wallet does, then it's time to replace it. I've never seen one 'blow out', they just progressively leak more.